[News] Great Reviews of Eee, OLPC; XP Blasted Off the Eee PC

  • Subject: [News] Great Reviews of Eee, OLPC; XP Blasted Off the Eee PC
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 15:43:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux Air: Hitting the road with the Eee PC

,----[ Quote ]
| The Eee PC will make life much easier for my wife and me on our trip. It will
| be far better weight-wise, and infinitely better than not having any PC at
| all for six weeks. We can save our photos, do internet banking with far less
| risk than in Net cafes, backup our Palm PDAs, track our expenses in a
| spreadsheet, etc, etc. I'm loving it already!
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/asus_eee_pc

OLPC XO

,----[ Quote ]
| The XO is an incredible device which I believe can change the face of
| education forever. It's not only going to effect the lives of the "child
| under the banyan tree," the stereotypical/ideal child user targeted by the
| One Laptop Per Child program. As a future educator myself, I can see the
| potential this device has. The cooperative learning applications--almost all
| of the applications allow some kind of collaboration--are extremely useful in
| the modern classroom. Education theorists are abuzz with this type of
| learning, and the XO facilitates that con mucho gusto.
`----

http://www.bioslevel.com/index.php/reviews/aid/1197819730

eeeXubuntu booting great from SDHC on Asus eeePC

,----[ Quote ]
| I blew away XP on my eeePC and restored the original Xandros - great little
| OS in Easy Mode with iceWM. I also enabled advanced mode (a full KDE desktop)
| using pimpmyeee.sh (Google it - its a no-brainer quick way to enabled KDE).
| You can switch back and forth nice and easily.
`----

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/tonyhughes/4535

Related:

One Laptop Per Child wins Wallpaper* Design Award

,----[ Quote ]
| Wallpaper* has given One Laptop Per Child’s XO laptop a Judges Award for Most
| Life Enhancing Item. Click through for the February 2008 shoot, which leans
| more towards the ‘Ubuntu Calendar’ school of styling than the usual pics of
| smiling schoolchildren.
`----

http://blog.gobanquet.com/index.php/one-laptop-per-child-wins-wallpaper-award/

CRUX Linux 2.4 on OLPC XO-1

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m still working out the kinks, but I managed to put Crux 2.4 on the XO last
| night, and I have a rudimentary Openbox 3.4.6 session working with the
| default kernel and wired net access, functional browser, file manager and
| image viewer, and so forth.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/02/04/crux-linux-24-on-olpc-xo-1/

The XO Laptop: It’s the Software, Stupid

,----[ Quote ]
| Uruguay was the first country to purchase a large number of XO laptops,
| ordering 100,000 of the small green machines from Cambridge, MA-based One
| Laptop Per Child Foundation last October. If you dropped a couple thousand
| bucks on your last laptop, you may be alarmed by the idea of a student taking
| her brand-new XO into a muddy cow pen and getting up close and personal with
| a caul-enmeshed calf still shining with amniotic fluid. But to the folks at
| OLPC, who designed the $175 XO to be rugged and portable, yet powerful,
| finding the YouTube video was a triumphant moment. This bit of barnyard
| reality spoke volumes about an often-overlooked aspect of the project—namely,
| the software, which is designed to overturn old notions of classroom learning
| and give kids the ability to collaborate and express themselves in many
| media.
`----

http://www.xconomy.com/2008/02/01/the-xo-laptop-its-the-software-stupid/

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC