Re: [News] EU investigating Microsoft's abuse of ISO standards body over OOXML

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 08 February 2008 08:26 : \____

> CNN reports:
>
> |----
> | European regulators are examining whether Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) Corp
> | violated antitrust laws during a struggle last year to ratify its Office
> | software file format as an international standard, the Wall Street
> | Journal reported.
> |
> | EU antitrust officials have asked Microsoft for information about its
> | activities in the standards-setting process - an early step in an
> | investigation - and are stepping up scrutiny of the issue, people
> | familiar with the matter told the newspaper.
> |----
>
> http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/AFX-0013-22872163.htm
>
> It looks like the good work done here and elsewhere is exposing the
> bad deeds far more rapidly than ever before.  With a normal company,
> even the threat of the investigation would be enough to stop them from
> trying to further corrupt the ISO process, however, as we're talking
> about Microsoft, I very much doubt that they'll do anything other than
> drag the whole process out for as many years as possible.

Diplomats read many Web sites that document these issues, unlike the press.
Sometimes all they need are the pointers and the names of people for a probe
to be done.

This is fantastic news!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery
Tasks: 142 total,   1 running, 141 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie