Re: Fuddie's shame

Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

> In the pub last night after a governor meeting, in the group I was
> in, there were two Blackberries, two Motorola phones, one Samsung,
> one iPod shuffle, two Nokia phones and one Nokia N800 (mine,
> naturally :-).
>
> This really sums up the issue.  Microsoft have no presence in this
> area at all.

And to cap it all, there's a distinct consumer driven push towards
greener /Desktop/ computing too, in terms of power; hardware costs;
and software bloat, that the Vole is grossly inept at supporting.

All those Joe Users who used to spend thousands on space heaters just to
browse the Web, are finally waking up, and realising that they can still
do that with a) cheaper hardware and b) cheaper software.

Better yet, they soon discover that cheaper strangely seems /better/
than the so-called "professional" shovelware they've been force-fed all
these years. It must be quite a culture shock, to discover you've been
brainwashed by Microsoft's propaganda.

It really is looking pretty grim for the Vole.

They wasted 6 years and 10 billion dollars on something that is not
only horribly broken, but (hilariously) not even the right direction.
Pearly was so sold on his own bullshit ("people don't upgrade for bug
fixes, they upgrade for new features"), and so busy grabbing his own
ankles for the benefit of the media moguls, that he created a hideously
bloated monster that nobody wants (except the aforementioned media
moguls), rather than the lean and green systems that actually work for
the benefit of the /users/.

Now they're up to their necks in crap, taking it from all sides (legal,
financial, technical, political) and about to commit the biggest mistake
in their history, by wasting yet /more/ money (that they'll have to
borrow first) on a hair-brained scheme to buy Yahoo, under the pretext
that this cunning plan will solve all their problems (i.e. "Step 4 ...
PROFIT!!!"). Unfortunately they've yet to fill in the blank in "Step 3",
and frankly I don't think they even have a Step 3 ... or 2. Step 1 is
easy ... throw money around like a gorilla throwing bananas around in a
cage. They're good at that. Credit where it's due ... nobody chucks
bananas like Microsoft.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "There would be in the license, a caveat which forbids publishing a
| distro until it has been approved by an OSS committee." ~ Comrade
| Hardon Quirk, communist party member.

 09:47:23 up 49 days,  7:23,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00