Re: [News] Microsoft's OOXML Forcefeeding Strategy Includes Deprecation

Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

> shellack, vinyl, 8-track, El-cassette, compact-cassette, DAT, CD,
> DVD, Video Disc, Philips N1500, Philips N1700, Philips V2000, VHS,
> high-band VHS, Betamax, VCD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, MP3, Atrac,
> Apple-proprietary.
>
> I count 21 formats there, although I'm sure that I've missed some,
> somewhere.

Here's a few more:

DCC (Digital Compact Cassette), DIVX discs (Digital Video Express), Sony
UMD (for PSPs), SACD (Super Audio CD), HD-CD (High Definition Compatible
Digital), DVD-A (DVD Audio), Quadraphonic discs and tapes, Elcaset (rare
form of large cassette by Sony), Windows Media, Real Media, and Ogg (yes
you can *buy* music in Ogg Vorbis format).

If consumers were stupid enough to always walk the media moguls' format
treadmill, then we'd all have replaced our entire media collections 100
times over by now.

> Oh yeah, and when the originals start to drop-off, how about a nice
> greatest-hits compilation?  The Essential Warble & Pluck?  The Best
> of Warble and Pluck?  Warble and Pluck Live 2,3,4,5,6,7...

You forgot "Warble and Pluck: Unplucked", "Warble and Pluck: Gold",
"Warble and Pluck: The Early Years", "Warble and Pluck: The Platinum
Collection", "Warble and Pluck: Remastered", "Warble and Pluck: In
Session", "Warble and Pluck: The Official Bootlegs", "Warble and Pluck:
The 'B' Sides", "Warble and Pluck: The Bits the Producer Threw Away
Because They Were Crap but We Rescued Them From the Dumpster", and that
timeless classic "Warble and Pluck: Now That's What I Call Warble and
Pluck #107 (Summer Edition)".

> Ahh, makes me want to watch Spinal Tap again (this amp goes right up
> to 11, so that when you need a bit of extra oomph...).

Scary.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "There would be in the license, a caveat which forbids publishing a
| distro until it has been approved by an OSS committee." ~ Comrade
| Hardon Quirk, communist party member.

 17:15:58 up 48 days, 14:51,  4 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.11, 0.12