Re: [News] Ruby.NET is Shutting Down

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb
<brick.n.straw@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:59:07 -0500
<eivajry34krg.tqkryvzo3mue.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 07:55:50 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Ruby project yields to Microsoft
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Microsoft, meanwhile, has welcomed Ruby.NET project participants to its
>>| IronRuby project, licensed under the Microsoft Public License (Ms-PL).
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/02/05/ruby_dot_net_ends/
>>
>> What Will Happen to Zimbra?
>
> It's like crushing cockroaches in a dorm room.

I'd use a pair of infrared goggles for that -- cockroaches
being noted for their ability to scuttle away when the
light comes on.  Of course cockroaches will probably
scuttle away anyway when one's foot comes near, and I've
not tested this.

> Zimbra, whatever the fsck that is (sounds like a cheap whore) will be
> crushed as well.

As it should be, if it doesn't meet the needs of its users
(who don't have needs anyway [*]).  Microsoft will make
sure of that by advertising Office everywhere.

(Of course you're not exactly helping the argument by
denigrating what appears to be a made-up name.  But that's
just you.)

> You Linux boobs still don't get it do you.

We all love Big Brother.

[*] Clearly this requires some explanation.  The best
I can do from a philosophical standpoint is that no one
has needs anywhere unless one brings in the "undefined
symbol" of one's individual survival, and of course that's
strictly optional in certain cases (e.g., rescuing a child
by sacrificing one's own life, or disabling a pillbox
to allow the rest of one's platoon to slip to safety, cf
Rodger Young http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodger_Young),
though it's largely considered the default.

Once survival is linked in, one of course gets some
other issues, such as a minimum caloric requirement,
air, water, waste disposal, etc; these might link in
further requirements such as social interaction (payment,
spending), movement (to get to the social interaction),
espousal of viewpoint ("I'm over here guys!"), etc.

Reproduction is another "symbol" in this case, which
complicates the issue even more, but it's clear that the
desire for sex is a rather powerful drive, especially to
the naive.

Is there ever a need for software?  A want, certainly,
especially if one likes the results.  Microsoft is great
at creating wants, by producing cool commercials and print
ads.  Or at least at one point they were cool commercials
and print ads; I'm getting a little tired of SQL Server
being represented as a pair of flashlight batteries,
for instance.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Murphy was an optimist.