[News] Coastal Ecologists Choose Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Coastal Ecologists Choose Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 14:58:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Feature - Testing the waters: coastal ecologists look to open source software
to manage distributed sensor data

,----[ Quote ]
| He chose NaradaBrokering, an open source software developed by Community
| Grids Lab, part of Pervasive Technology Labs at Indiana University.
`----

http://www.isgtw.org/?pid=1000863

Related:

What’s So Green About Free Software?

,----[ Quote ]
| ...while greens are typically not much better at using free software
| that the average joe, I’d say they are more supportive and curious about it.
| How come? What is it about green ideology that says free software is a good
| idea? Environmentalism? Liberalism? Global solidarity?
|
| The greens often claims that the main dividing line in politics is not the
| (somewhat outdated) left to right scale. Instead, they say the real divide is
| between large and small scale solutions; mono culture vs. diversity. And for
| the greens diversity is not only about the ecosystem, but also about social
| security, education, democracy and economics. And dare I say - technology.
`----

http://alt.tech.idealist.nu/?p=48

What is Tiny, Green, and Penguin-Friendly?

,----[ Quote ]
| This article briefly goes over six mini systems that you don't have to build
| yourself. They are an ideal platform for a project or for a silent system for
| simple tasks like checking your email. The intention was to find systems that
| are small, Linux-ready, and customizable, but price was factored in as well.
`----

http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1122

Is 'green' software possible?

,----[ Quote ]