[News] 'Linux' Without the Linux; Portage Gets Thinner

  • Subject: [News] 'Linux' Without the Linux; Portage Gets Thinner
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 16:18:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

,----[ Quote ]
| This article might seem to be not serious, or even a little bit heretical.
| Well, so be it. I’ll write what I think I should write and what I see as
| true. Whether is it the same in your case — dear Reader — we’ll see. First of
| all, let me ask you a basic question: Which operating system do you use? What
| are the possible answers? Windows, Linux, Solaris or Mac OS X of course. But
| let us try to think different for a moment. Maybe it is possible, that this
| answer would be, for example KDE?
`----

http://polishlinux.org/gnu/gnusomething/

Your Portage tree just got 200MB smaller

,----[ Quote ]
| Each ebuild in the Portage tree used to come with its own digest file. When
| you emerged a package, this digest was used to verify that you had the same
| files the developer did.
`----

http://www.gentoo.org/news/20080204-digest-files-removed.xml

Related:

Is 'GNU/Solaris' emerging from Microsoft-Novell deal?

,----[ Quote ]
| "I would not be surprised," Phipps told us, "if the final GPL v3.0
| was not an effective tool for some of the communities that Sun sustains, or
| will, initiate, in the future."
|
| Solaris wasn't mentioned, but the prospect of a Solaris released
| under a dual license, of which one is GPL v 3.0, therefore looks
| much more likely today. And certainly enough of a prospect to
| start talking about the ramifications.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/30/sun_gnu_solaris/

Debian GNU/Minix

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally someone has seen the light and started a project that I called for in
| a previous article. This melding of the Minix kernel with the GNU userland is
| called Preventa, and seems to poke fun at the name Nexenta, a similar project
| using the Solaris kernel, all in good fun I’m sure, considering that the
| project leader’s blog is called “La Salle Debain” (a play on “Debian” and the
| French for “bathroom”).
`----

http://mauroandres.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/debian-gnuminix/

Better mentors.debian.net/REVU to improve our sponsorship workflow?

,----[ Quote ]
| I recently sponsored several uploads, and was asked to sponsor even more
| uploads, and that got me thinking about our sponsorship workflow. It’s a
| clear bottleneck in Debian, and discourages many new contributors, which
| obviously sucks.
`----

http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=258

The GNU Hurd

,----[ Quote ]
| This post was written for two reasons: one is to raise awareness about the
| existence of the GNU Hurd kernel and maybe bring it to the attention of
| people who want to help with its development.
`----

http://linux4coffee.wordpress.com/2007/10/14/the-gnu-hurd/

Students develop new GNU installer

,----[ Quote ]