[News] Another Company Turns to Free Software and Asterisk

  • Subject: [News] Another Company Turns to Free Software and Asterisk
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 13:32:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Junction Networks uses Asterisk to tailor VoIP to customer demands

,----[ Quote ]
| Oeth is no stranger to open source. In the early '90s he started Interport
| Communications, an ISP that eventually became the second largest in New York
| City. In that business he got "very familiar" with Apache Web servers and a
| host of open source tools. After he sold Interport, Oeth was looking for
| another business. "Knowing all the advantages of open source, we saw a lot of
| similarities between Apache and Asterisk. We knew we could install this, get
| a conference bridge up and running, and have the cheapest one out there."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/125794

Some people begin to compare Asterisk's future impact to that of Apache, which
continues to gain market share.

Recent:

Asterisk is no longer just a PBX footnote

,----[ Quote ]
| While Asterisk IP PBX software can be a boon for cash-strapped businesses
| that need phone upgrades, the free, open source platform has also spawned a
| host of for-profit vendors that charge for Asterisk professional services,
| peripherals and software extensions and still manage to undercut the prices
| charged by more established IP PBX vendors.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/012408-special-focus.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

InfoWorld Names Digium(R) Asterisk(R) a Top Technology Impacting 2008 IT

,----[ Quote ]
| InfoWorld reports, "a complete IP PBX released as open source under the GNU
| Public License, Asterisk is built to run on commodity hardware, providing
| considerable cost savings when compared with commercial alternatives, and it
| leverages the open source community for additional testing, bug fixes, and
| feature development."
`----

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-infoworld-names-digiumr-asteriskr-top-technology-impacting-2008-/2008/01/10/3204744.htm
http://tinyurl.com/36h9bl

Digium Unveils Business-Class "Digium|Asterisk Marketplace"

,----[ Quote ]
| New Digium website provides a one-stop destination for Asterisk-related
| products and services
`----

http://www.digium.com/en/mediacenter/viewpress.php?id=digium-unveils-business-class-digium-asterisk-marketplace

Linux-Based VoIP Partnership Announced

,----[ Quote ]
| Chipmaker Broadcom and software developer Trolltech this week formed a
| partnership to create a multimedia voice over IP development platform based
| on Linux.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205601431

Linux VoIP stack powers "kitchen communicator" design

,----[ Quote ]
| Trolltech has announced a new spin on its Qtopia software stack for
| Linux-based devices.

Asterisk awakens open source love in telecom entrepreneur

,----[ Quote ]
| Fribush's previous company produced Web telephony software for the online
| dating industry. When that business was sold in 2006, he started looking for
| his next project and noticed an interesting trend. "We were looking at the
| Asterisk movement, and we started looking at some of the momentum," Fribush
| says. "It was a big disrupter. And we thought that one of the missing pieces
| was a turnkey solution where the application was actually hosted." Fribush
| partnered with his friend Michael Rand to launch Aretta
| Communications. "That's really the start of my open source background. I've
| really always been a Microsoft guy. You get converted when you see the power
| of open source tools. Now it is the majority of our infrastructure."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/123066

Digium preps Asterisk Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| "We developed our own GUI [which is] similar to Trixbox [distribution],
| but the purpose of AsteriskNow is to provide a distribution built
| around Asterisk technology so people can use it without the GUI," he
| said. "The GUI is the same as the Asterisk Appliance that looks
| like a Linksys router that runs Asterisk and has analogue ports."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1047335524;fp;2;fpid;1

Linux dominating VoIP devices?

,----[ Quote ]
| Trolltech says its development framework and software stack for mobile
| devices was selected by Skype as the preferred platform for Skype-certified
| VoIP (voice-over-IP) phones. Additionally, the Qtopia framework/stack has
| been used in about 40 VoIP devices, making it the "dominant Linux
| development platform for VoIP/WiFi devices," according to Trolltech.

Digium Takes Best of Open Source Software Award

`----

http://www.voip-news.com/blog/20070918/digium-takes-best-of-open-source-software-award/