[News] GNU/Linux Spreads from the Datacentre to the Desktop

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Spreads from the Datacentre to the Desktop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 06:36:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
How to Deploy Linux From the Data Center to the Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Rising demand for IT from government agencies in the Indian state of Tamil
| Nadu was putting pressure on the state's technology budget. The solution? An
| enterprisewide shift to Linux from the data center to the desktop.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/179250/How_to_Deploy_Linux_From_the_Data_Center_to_the_Desktop

Quote for the day:

"I thanked [Compaq's John] Rose for all of his trips to Seattle and his
willingness to distract a lot of time for the lawsuit."

                                --Bill Gates, oil tycoon

Recent:

Nortel considers Linux desktops for its staff

,----[ Quote ]
| Nortel CIO Steve Bandrowczak, who joined the Canadian telecoms and network
| equipment vendor last July, said "more and more CIOs are looking at Linux
| desktop for reasons of TCO" and argued that the technology "is receiving the
| same level of attention today as when Linux started on servers."
`----

http://www.mbtmag.com/articleXml/LN731846314.html

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
| for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
| administrations in the world to make the break.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iU4Lq7tOR_WVOJLZ3IeRaIH03x6w

Related:

French National Assembly switches to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux, OpenOffice and Firefox favoured
|
| [...]
|
| One deputy in favour of the move is Bernard Carayon, commissioned by
| the Prime Minister earlier this year to report on how European
| businesses could play a greater role in developing global industrial
| standards, in order to reduce Europe's economic dependance on other
| regions.
`----

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=7687

Linux reaches the Italian Parliament