[News] Helios Meets Bastardised Ballnux (Freespire)

  • Subject: [News] Helios Meets Bastardised Ballnux (Freespire)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 03:04:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Who Fouled My Carpet...?

,----[ Quote ]
| It only took me a few minutes to notice it. It would seem that the Freespire
| people have been given their marching orders and I would Like Eric Raymond to
| comment if he is allowed. I can understand why Linspire would have to bow to
| the Microsoft Collusion but why Freespire? Now I know that Linspire is
| expected to dance to Microsoft's tunes...If I calculate correctly, 5 top
| Linspire executives entered their Linspire employment weighing 3 lbs less
| than they did when they left.
|
| That extra weight was from the 30 pieces of silver each carried out when they
| abandoned the infested ship at the end of the MS Deal. (thank you Stephen J.)
`----

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?/archives/436-Who-Fouled-My-Carpet....html

"The government is not trying to destroy Microsoft, it’s simply seeking to
compel Microsoft to obey the law. It’s quite revealing that Mr. Gates equates
the two."

                                --Government official

Related:

Freespire, Linspire, and Microsoft patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft denies that this is the case, and argues that, in particular, the
| GPLv3 has nothing to do with it. However, with its July 5 Covenant to
| Customers concerning its Linspire deal, Microsoft is trying to put even more
| distance between any potential patent claims and the GPLv3.

Linspire CEO Kevin Carmony resigns

,----[ Quote ]
| Carmony also said his resignation, contrary to some rumors, had nothing to do
| with any disagreement with Linspire's primary owner Michael Robertson, or
| with fallout from either of Linspire's recent deals with Microsoft, which
| covered technology licensing and patent indemnification.
|
| Carmony joined Linspire, then known as "Lindows," in June of 2001 to become
| its president. Later, he became the company's CEO.

Linspire deal: What will ESR and Shuttleworth do now?

,----[ Quote ]
| Will Shuttleworth continue to collaborate with a company which has now
| caved in to a protection racket? Or will he do stick to the principle
| behind the whole FOSS movement and walk away from the deal? We're watching
| and waiting, Mark.

Microsoft Strikes GPLv3 Software From Linspire Patent Deal

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201001836