[News] Helios Meets Bastardised Ballnux (Freespire)

  • Subject: [News] Helios Meets Bastardised Ballnux (Freespire)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 03:04:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Who Fouled My Carpet...?

,----[ Quote ]
| It only took me a few minutes to notice it. It would seem that the Freespire
| people have been given their marching orders and I would Like Eric Raymond to
| comment if he is allowed. I can understand why Linspire would have to bow to
| the Microsoft Collusion but why Freespire? Now I know that Linspire is
| expected to dance to Microsoft's tunes...If I calculate correctly, 5 top
| Linspire executives entered their Linspire employment weighing 3 lbs less
| than they did when they left.
| That extra weight was from the 30 pieces of silver each carried out when they
| abandoned the infested ship at the end of the MS Deal. (thank you Stephen J.)

"The government is not trying to destroy Microsoft, it’s simply seeking to
compel Microsoft to obey the law. It’s quite revealing that Mr. Gates equates
the two."

                                --Government official

Freespire, Linspire, and Microsoft patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft denies that this is the case, and argues that, in particular, the
| GPLv3 has nothing to do with it. However, with its July 5 Covenant to
| Customers concerning its Linspire deal, Microsoft is trying to put even more
| distance between any potential patent claims and the GPLv3.

Linspire CEO Kevin Carmony resigns

,----[ Quote ]
| Carmony also said his resignation, contrary to some rumors, had nothing to do
| with any disagreement with Linspire's primary owner Michael Robertson, or
| with fallout from either of Linspire's recent deals with Microsoft, which
| covered technology licensing and patent indemnification.
| Carmony joined Linspire, then known as "Lindows," in June of 2001 to become
| its president. Later, he became the company's CEO.

Linspire deal: What will ESR and Shuttleworth do now?

,----[ Quote ]
| Will Shuttleworth continue to collaborate with a company which has now
| caved in to a protection racket? Or will he do stick to the principle
| behind the whole FOSS movement and walk away from the deal? We're watching
| and waiting, Mark.

Microsoft Strikes GPLv3 Software From Linspire Patent Deal

,----[ Quote ]