[News] Dying Telephone Companies Cling Onto Software Patents and Sue

  • Subject: [News] Dying Telephone Companies Cling Onto Software Patents and Sue
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:53:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Can you believe it? Net2Phone sues Skype over 2000 Patent!

,----[ Quote ]
| Net2Phone, the pioneering Internet phone company that was destined to become
| a subsidiary of IDT despite objectons from some shareholders, seemingly has
| figured out a way to strike back against their enduring irrelevance.
`----

Now, they’re taking Skype to court for patent infringement.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=3133

Net2Phone Jumps Into The VoIP Patent Lawsuit Business: Sues Skype

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080131/001435132.shtml

Patent for Symbian OS

,----[ Quote ]
| A bit of a curiosity this one. If you go to Gauss, you can view the patent
| for the Symbian OS. As far as I can tell, the premise is that EPOC provides
| an efficient way of storing strings that, in turn, allows the OS to be
| created in c++ rather than c.
`----

http://mobilephonedevelopment.com/archives/538

Related:

Strange patent filed in China: Method to boot Linux OS from mobile harddisk

,----[ Quote ]
| This is not the first time I heard about strange patents filed in China.
|
| [...]
|
| “This invention is about the method to boot Linux OS on removable storage
| which is attached to the USB port of PC. It is implemented in a way that
| firstly, setup Linux OS in the removable storage; then enter BIOS of the PC,
| to change the boot sequence to USB-HDD or USB-ZIP first; now boot the system,
| so user can choose the Linux version, and Linux kernel with initrd will be
| loaded by bootloader from the removable storage to PC memory; then boot the
| Linux kernel, initialize system and run tasks; mount filesystem of initrd,
| then switch to root filesystem on the removable storage; detect hardware
| devices, install drivers and configure them automatically; finally, start the
| desktop session, after user has input the username and password, detect
| hardware partitions automatically and mount them.”
`----

http://www.kernel.sg/blog/2008/01/20/strange-patent-filed-in-china-method-to-boot-linux-os-from-mobile-harddisk/

Google Gphone still on the way, say sources

,----[ Quote ]
| TI's handset chipsets will find their way into the Google phone should the
| company decide to roll out an EDGE-compliant handset, but Qualcomm could turn
| out to be the winner if Google decides to bet on a 3G model, the sources
| noted.
`----

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070918PD204.html

Open Source Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Nice, creative idea. But note a few things. First, the OIN patent pooling
| approach relies on the patent monopoly to work, since the potential threat of
| a patent infringement lawsuit is what induces third parties to enter into the
| OIN license (on the other hand, without the patent monopoly, there would be
| no reason for OIN to exist).
|
| [...]
|
| In other words, it's similar to the situation that would exist in the absence
| of IP--without all the effort and waste to get a bunch of flaccid scraps of
| paper.
`----

http://blog.mises.org/archives/007126.asp

When Patents Threaten Science