[News] A Good Look at the Latest Ubuntu Build and Sun's Copycat

  • Subject: [News] A Good Look at the Latest Ubuntu Build and Sun's Copycat
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 01:59:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron Alpha 4 Screenshots

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=Ubuntu%208.04%20Hardy%20Heron%20Alpha%204

A Tour Of Sun's Project Indiana Preview 2

,----[ Quote ]
| A week ago we reported that a second preview release of Project Indiana,
| Sun's attempt at creating an operating system for the desktop based upon
| OpenSolaris and led by Ian Murdock, was on track to be released in the near
| future. Thursday afternoon that became true with the test image surfacing for
| Developer Preview 2 of Project Indiana, or what will formally be called
| OpenSolaris. Officially, this new release is known as the OpenSolaris
| Developer Preview 1/08 edition. The general availability release of Project
| Indiana is expected in March, but today we have up a tour of this new Indiana
| release.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=986&num=1

Related:

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Alpha 4 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| It's arriving a day late, but this evening Steve Langasek has announced the
| availability of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Alpha 4.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjMxNQ

First look: Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) alpha 4

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 8.04 alpha 4 was officially released today and is now available for
| testing. This alpha offers an early look at some of the features that will be
| included in the final 8.04 release, which is scheduled for April. Codenamed
| Hardy Heron, Ubuntu 8.04 will be the second long-term support (LTS) release,
| which means that it will be supported on the desktop for three years and on
| the server for five years.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080202-first-look-ubuntu-8-04-hardy-heron-alpha-4.html

Ubuntu to get visual refresh with Hardy Heron

,----[ Quote ]
| This propose of hardy theme suggests to Ubuntu 7.10 use the beautiful new
| Clearlooks engine with subtle changes in the color, selected menu item and in
| the gnome main-menu. So take a look at the may be future theme of Ubuntu
| Hardy Heron :)
`----

http://tuxenclave.wordpress.com/2008/01/15/ubuntu-to-get-visual-refresh-with-hardy-heron/

Virtualization Made Easy In Ubuntu 8.04

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the features that was introduced a year ago into Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty
| Fawn" was support for KVM, which is the Kernel-based Virtual Machine. The
| Kernel-based Virtual Machine provides full virtualization support for Linux
| when running on x86 hardware with either Intel's VT or AMD-V technology,
| which means you can run unmodified guest operating systems such as Linux or
| Microsoft Windows within your Linux host operating system.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=983&num=1

Hardy Heron Features

,----[ Quote ]