Re: MythBusters: 7 Tech Headaches--and How to Fix Them

____/ Spinner on Saturday 02 February 2008 00:55 : \____

> On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 16:02:52 -0800, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> <Quote>
>
>> Most features can be set up as options. Why not start with a computer
>> loaded with basic stuff that works 100 percent of the time? Then, give
>> us the option of adding the bells and whistles. There's another solution
>> available to consumers: Switch to a Linux-based OS such as Ubuntu. Since
>> most Linux OSs are free, there's no business reason to bloat up the
>> system with feature frills. </Quote>
>>
>> http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/upgrade/4243994.html?page=1
>

> Now that terabyte HD's are available, I'm expecting someone to come up
> with Whole-Hog Linux. Base installation includes all 23,000
> applications so you don't have to mess with Synaptic. :-)
>
> I actually installed everything in Ports on FreeBSD once. Can't
> remember for sure, but I think it had something like 8,000
> applications at that time. It ran under continuous heavy load for
> about a week, continuously downloading and compiling and
> installing. FreeBSD didn't even hiccup the whole time or after the
> many thousands of applications were installed.
>
> One would expect the same of Linux. Windows is rather a different
> matter. :)

The two 'worlds' are very different. While most Linux/BSD users tried Windows
on occasions or for a long time, Windows users rarely get a taste of anything
else, so they cannot appreciate choice, change, improvement.

Not to worry. Over time, this will change. Linux continues to gain ground very
quickly; not just on the desktop, mind you.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: as the reputation of "Longhorn" was mucked
 02:20:03 up 8 days, 12:14,  3 users,  load average: 3.12, 2.56, 2.04