[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Dumping Techniques Come Under Scrutiny

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Dumping Techniques Come Under Scrutiny
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 01:56:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Fight Microsoft's lobbying of the world's governments: call to free and open
source millionaires

,----[ Quote ]
| The current lobbying
|
| Mr. Gates has continued his lobbying and travelling over the last years. In
| general, every time he goes somewhere, something happens. A government or a
| city is converted to Microsoft; an important GNU/Linux contract is cancelled
| (see how the Mandriva deal turned out in Nigeria). Officials start
| contradicting each other in what they tell the press. Things generally go
| pear-shaped.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/fight_microsofts_lobbying_of_the_worlds_governments_call_to_free_and_open_source_millionaires

Nigeria was a case of bribery (see below).

Related:

[Mandriva CEO:] An open letter to Steve Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! I’m impressed, Steve! What have you done for these guys to change their
| mind like this? It’s pretty clear to me, and it will be clear to everyone.
| How do you call what you just did Steve, in the place where you live? In my
| place, they give it various names, I’m sure you know them.
|
| Hey Steve, how do you feel looking at yourself in the mirror in the morning?
|
| Of course, I will keep fighting this one and the next one, and the next one.
| You have the money, the power, and maybe we have a different sense of ethics
| you and I, but I believe that hard work, good technology and ethics can win
| too.
`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/an-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer/

Lessons from Africa: How to Kill Your Own FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| So, even as Microsoft claims superior quality over Linux, they act as if they
| don't even buy their own FUD. If they really believed that Windows was
| superior to Linux, they wouldn't have to bribe people with “marketing help”
| to get them to choose Windows.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-09-030-26-OP-MD-MS

Linux wins Nigerian school desktops back from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are sticking with that platform," said the official, who would not give
| his name.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124
http://tinyurl.com/27ycq9

Nigerian students power up their laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Khaled Hassounah, director of Nicholas Negroponte's One Laptop Per
| Child (OLPC) program in Africa and the Middle East, has spent the
| last year touring schools in Nigeria. He and his team chose a school
| 10 miles outside Nigeria's capital, Abuja, to deploy the company's
| first child-friendly laptops in the region.
`----

http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-6175025-1.html?part=rss&tag=6175025&subj=news

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]