Re: [News] Tux Droid Gets Good Review, Only Works in GNU/Linux

The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
><newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 16 Feb 2008 02:22:44 +0000
><1975399.eYhf6xSfbj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Tux Droid - Talking Linux Penguin
>>
>> ,----[ Quote]
>> | Apparently, though, I am mistaken because that's exactly
>> | what is sitting in front of me right now, and it's not
>> | just an effigy of the much-loved penguin, but a wirelessly
>> | connected moving speaking robot or sorts. More curiously,
>> | unlike most every piece of hardware on the planet, rather
>> | than having to hunt for hours on end to find a Linux driver,
>> | you'll discover that that only Linux users can use the
>> | Tux Droid as Windows drivers aren't available.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.trustedreviews.com/peripherals/review/2008/02/16/Tux-Droid-Talking-Linux-Penguin/p1
>>

> Ye gods.  Well, I'll admit it looks useful enough, if
> one can stand the notion of a plastic penguin and a fish
> dangling from a USB cable from one's desktop.  Definitely
> on the "gadget" side of "useful gadget", though, even if
> it does appear to have more brains than Tiger Electronics'
> Furby, and is friendlier than Lyons Partnership's Barney
> (if only because the latter's voice is so annoying when
> he sings his trademarked song -- and oh yes, Barney is
> associated with The Vole).
>
> I would hope for different form factors; the most obvious
> one is a standard box speaker+dongle kit but one might
> get slightly creative and license Sanrio's "Hello Kitty"
> character, Nick Jr's "Dora the Explorer", Disney's Mickey
> Mouse, Warner Brother's Bugs Bunny, something from Kojima
> Productions' Metaru Gia/Metal Gear, Takara's Transformers,
> or some such.
>
> (Personally, I think Hello Kitty even more ridiculous than
> Tux; the latter is at least open source.  The others might
> appeal to fans and/or nostalgia buffs.)
>
> [rest snipped]

I can imagine these things running along the outside of a car, talking
to passers-by, or sitting outside shops...

I'd think that primary-age children would find it truly compelling, too.