[News] Sales of (Linux-ready) PS3 Expected to Go Up Significantly with Blu-Ray Win

  • Subject: [News] Sales of (Linux-ready) PS3 Expected to Go Up Significantly with Blu-Ray Win
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:17:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
HD DVD dead, what now for the PS3?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that the HD DVD high definition disc format is dead .  What effect will
| that have on the Sony Blu-ray equipped games machine?  According to analysts,
| an immediate 10 % sales boost.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16754/1093/

This will cost Microsoft a few more $billions, which it wouldn't have if it
bought Yahoo. So, the reason this format war is mention is:

        1. It's costing Microsoft a kidney when it cannot afford losses

        2. The PS3 will be used by more and more people to run Linux
           as time goes by. There will be better distributions for it
           which take advantage of the unit's full capacity, better
           awareness, yet the number of installation can never be counted.

The drive is just a way to sell PS3 (Windows-incompatible hardware, namely
Cell). The drive (or DRM or whatever) not of much relevance to Linux.

Recent:

iSuppli thinks PS3 will be the ultimate winner – by 2011

,----[ Quote ]
| Putting the PS3 in top spot by 2011, iSuppli says the Wii will be number
| two , with the Xbox 360 in the third spot – but 4 years is a long time in the
| videogame business and just because iSuppli predicts it doesn’t mean it will
| come true.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16658/1105/

Microsoft’s is losing its grasp on the technology markets

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/News-106703.aspx