Re: Make up your mind, Roy! (was Re: [News] Blu-ray Win a Death of Microsoft XBox, a Win to Linux-ready PS3)

Verily I say unto thee, that RonB spake thusly:
> Tim Smith wrote:

>> Could you make up your mind, Roy?
>>
>> You say you are against DRM, but you seem happy that Blu-Ray is
>> going to win.  Blu-Ray has more DRM than HD-DVD.

You're also conveniently forgetting that Blu-Ray is about more than just
DRM'ed videos. It's also (I would argue, more importantly) about:

. 50GB optical media
. It isn't a Microsoft product
. It further undermines Microsoft's hideously broken exBorks
. It's yet another brutal humiliation for Microsoft
. Microsoft takes one more small step towards the grave

Did I mention 50GB optical media? Oh yeah.

And as for "protected" content, what commercially released video content
is /not/ protected by some mechanism or another? How is supporting one
commercial film format over another the same as being "happy" about DRM?

If (as is the case) I have to choose between one protected format over
another, then naturally I'm going to choose the superior format, which
in this case is clearly Blu-Ray ... by a mile. The industry agrees.

>> You say you are against companies using money to buy a market.  But
>> Sony dumped Blu-Ray players at well below cost, and made large
>> payouts to studios to get them to support Blu-Ray.
>
> And HD-DVD didn't? Blu-Ray won on merit in the first place. If
> Parmount and Dreamworks hadn't been bribed at the last minute, HD-DVD
> would never have seen the light of day anyhow.

Sony are no angels (rootkit?) but compared to the thugs at Microsoft
they're Pope Benedict and John the Baptist combined.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

 02:07:58 up 58 days, 23:43,  6 users,  load average: 0.06, 0.03, 0.04