Re: [News] Cringely's Theory on a Malicious Microsoft Manoeuvre

____/ 7 on Sunday 17 February 2008 19:32 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Cartoon: http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080215
>>
>> Plan B: What if Microsoft doesn't really hope to buy Yahoo at all?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | But what if Microsoft wasn't serious about its offer? Well then things
>> | start to get REALLY interesting.
>> |
>> | Certainly Microsoft's offer for Yahoo has thrown that company and
>> | several others into a tizzy. Yahoo can't be getting much work done,
>> | that's for sure. And if you believe the press reports, AOL and News Corp
>> | have been dragged into the strategizing, too, and are subject to
>> | disruption. For Yahoo, as the primary target, overall efficiency in the
>> | company will have dropped instantly by 20 percent just because people
>> | will be talking at the watercooler rather than doing their work. And
>> | Yahoo wasn't a very efficient place to begin with. This alone has some
>> | value for Microsoft, where I will guarantee you the distraction is far
>> | less.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2008/pulpit_20080215_004309.html
>>
>> Pay careful attention to the first reference below (it came just /days/
>> before the bid). Cringley's (Mark's) message isn't so far-fetched.
>
> If anything its ignoring some of the main issues as to why
> micoshaft is doing what its doing.
>
> Micoshaft is going into debt with share buy back,
> price collapsing and revenues being sucked out their
> crappy products by Open Office, Linux and the need
> to comply with anti-trust rulings or face ever greater
> fines.
>
> Micoshaft now needs to sell the idea that it can have negative
> bank balance without collapsing its share price.
> Buying yahoo is the only way to do that.
> It can blame its misfortunes on the sinking
> caused by yahoo. But as it is buying yahoo at an undervalued
> price, the whole thing will have a softer landing because
> yahoo can be asset stripped to recover all that loss at
> the expense of all that is yahoo and what those investors will
> loose.

Someone who has been watching Microsoft told me some hours ago that Microsoft
had been playing with huge dividends for quite some time. I wonder how much
money the company /really/ lacks. One thing I do know  is that Gates left his
position as CEO after /huge/ losses. More recently (a year ago) he decided to
concentrate more on his fund and in recent months he has become spreading
money in a very tactical way (getting children "addicted" as he once called
it).

Microsoft loves competition.
"We need to slaughter Novell before they get stronger….If you’re going to kill
someone, there isn’t much reason to get all worked up about it and angry. You
just pull the trigger. Any discussions beforehand are a waste of time. We need
to smile at Novell while we pull the trigger."

                --Jim Allchin, Platform Group Vice President