[News] "Mobiles May Matter More Than the Desktop" (and Microsoft Lost Chief, Direction)

  • Subject: [News] "Mobiles May Matter More Than the Desktop" (and Microsoft Lost Chief, Direction)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 06:24:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Yahoo Buy Spins Wheels For Microsoft Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Mobiles may matter more than the desktop
|
| Since the PC browser search and ad experience have been dominated by Google,
| Microsoft's competitive play may be on the mobile side, where no single
| provider dominates search.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/02/15/yahoo-buy-spins-wheels-for-microsoft-mobile

Waste of money for Microsoft. Yahoo hardly does mobiles (not even at the UI
level). What's more, the long-time Mobile Unit leader at Microsoft jumped the
ship a few days ago, so it looks grim.

Recent:

Microsoft's executive shuffle expected Thursday

,----[ Quote ]
| The move will see three top executives--including two prominent outside
| hires--out of a job. Leaving the company are: Senior Vice President Steven
| Berkowitz, the former Ask.com CEO who had been heading Microsoft's online
| services unit, and Mike Sievert, the former AT&T Wireless executive brought
| in to run Windows marketing. Both Sievert and Berkowitz had already seen some
| duties handed off to others at the company and their departures were largely
| expected.
|
| Also leaving is Pieter Knook, longtime head of Microsoft's Windows Mobile
| unit.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9871715-56.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

Microsoft cans key conference

,----[ Quote ]
| SOFTWARE giant Microsoft has decided that it does not love its popular Mobile
| and Embedded DevCon any more and has pulled the plug.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/16/microsoft-cans-key-conference

Reaching for Apple, Falling Short

,----[ Quote ]
| Frankly, Windows Mobile 6 is a mess. Common features require an infinitude of
| taps and clicks, and the ones you need most are buried in menus. Apparently
| the Windows Mobile 6 team learned absolutely nothing from Windows Mobile 1,
| 2, 3, 4 and 5.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/08/technology/personaltech/08pogue.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Microsoft's vision for universal mobile platform a little blurred

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately for Microsoft, Windows Mobile is currently not even in the
| second runner in the smartphone operating systems race. Linux, which is
| widely used on mobile devices in China, is second to Symbian with more than
| 13% market share. Windows mobile is a distant third with about 6% share.
`----                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15017/1023/

Windows Mobile flaws could crash phones

,----[ Quote ]
| A security firm has found a pair of security bugs in Microsoft's
| Windows Mobile which, if exploited, could crash phones and other
| devices running the software.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6155141.html

Trend Micro Finds More Windows Mobile Flaws

,----[ Quote ]
| Trend Micro has again discovered flaws related to Windows Mobile.
| Both of the newly found vulnerabilities are flaws in applications
| that ship by default with Microsoft?s mobile device OS.
`----

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trend-micro-finds-more-windows-mobile-flaws/

Microsoft shows its hand to stay in the mobile web war

,----[ Quote ]
| Repeatedly it has been asked of Microsoft, why not throw away Windows
| Mobile and build a new generation of software on top of the prevalent
| smart phone operating systems -- Symbian and Linux, or add Windows
| Mobile only as an afterthought?
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/06/microsoft_deepfish_mobile_browser/

I'm breaking up with Windows Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| But tomorrow, I'm saying goodbye, or at least fare-well to my Windows
| Mobile days.
`----

http://onemanshouting.com/tech/2007/06/05/ImBreakingUpWithWindowsMobile.aspx

T-Mobile Wing Review

,----[ Quote ]
| With that said, Microsoft's Windows Mobile 6 is a disappointment.
| Working with a number of applications or "heavy" documents was
| painful. The delay was too much, especially in Word and PowerPoint
| files that it wasn?t possible for us to work with the device without
| messing up somewhere and not realizing it in the end. This lag is
| present across a number of other scenarios as well.
`----

http://www.cooltechzone.com/Departments/Featured_Story/T-Mobile_Wing_Review_200706042861/

HTC takes a gamble with new brand and OS strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite making gains in the enterprise and becoming a fairly robust
| and well recognized, if relatively minor, smartphone platform, Windows
| Mobile will clearly be just an element in the mobile picture, and
| probably a small one compared to Linux and the growing family of
| Java-oriented OSs like Symbian/Series 60 or Sun's new developments.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/18/htc_new_strategy/

Microsoft Hides Its Mobile and Business Apps Divisions

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1990243,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535