[News] SCO is Toast Like McBride; Software Patents and Mono a New Issue

  • Subject: [News] SCO is Toast Like McBride; Software Patents and Mono a New Issue
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 02:12:07 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In His Own Words: McBride

,----[ Quote ]
| Suddenly, all the "fat lady" and "it ain't over till it's over" metaphors
| were trotted out. SCO isn't dead yet, look out Linux fans!
|
| With all due respect to my colleagues in the press: puh-leeze.
|
| First off, most people with a modicum of sense knew the litigation wasn't
| over. With bankruptcy proceedings and the SCO v. everybody cases... there was
| very little chance that this was all going to fade away into the abyss. At
| most, all of these legal proceedings will enough new cash to keep things
| going faster--provided the court approves the restucturing plan. Which, as
| far as I know, the court hasn't approved yet. The York Group reorganization
| proposal was nixed, you may recall.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-02-15-015-26-OP-CD

The new problem may be Microsoft/Mono/patents:

How GNU/Linux Gets Contaminated with Software Patents from the Back Door

,----[ Quote ]
| One thing I noticed this week is that the mono group has been able to
| encumber a growing number of Ubuntu (not Kubuntu) applications with
| proprietary Microsoft technology. However, the documentation and program
| descriptions do not warn of this (of course they want to keep it under the
| radar).
|
| [...]
|
| A risk here is that, especially in regards to media (audio, video, pictures,
| text, etc.) it will provide a ramp for OOXML, WMA, WMV, HDPhoto, and others
| along with the prerequiste DRM.
`----

http://boycottnovell.com/2008/02/15/mono-contamination-in-ubuntu/

I understand that Mono is a divisive issue, but several people feel somewhat
responsible for presenting the issues even if it means getting some flak.

Related:

OpenSolaris, Gobuntu, and be careful who you kiss

,----[ Quote ]
| I read the agreement between Xandros and Microsoft, and one of the excluded
| products was Mono, so Microsoft promises to not sue Xandros over their
| distribution but excluding Mono and a few other products, i.e. they reserve
| the right to sue over Mono. I wonder if this is an interesting preview of on
| what basis they want to fight the free world.
|
| Interestingly, the Novell deal seems to be different, Mono is not excluded
| from the Novell deal. So Microsoft seems to be promising not to sue Novell
| over Mono, but keeps the option open for Xandros. Weird but true.
`----

http://commandline.org.uk/2007/be-careful-who-you-kiss/

Miguel, Mono and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]