[News] Google Aligned Against Microsoft's Torrent-killing Partner

  • Subject: [News] Google Aligned Against Microsoft's Torrent-killing Partner
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 05:19:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Google cheers anti-Comcast legislation

,----[ Quote ]
| "Net neutrality is too often painted as just about particular companies'
| competing interests," Slater continues...
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/14/markey_net_neutrality_legislation/

Comcast has partnerships with Microsoft, which hates Linux and brings IPR
lessons to children. Why would Comcast allow torrents?

Months ago:

Comcast, Microsoft team up to serve smaller firms

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's move to offer the online software suite appears designed to
| compete with a similar offering from rival Google Inc (GOOG.O: Quote,
| Profile, Research) known as Google Apps.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN1361814420071114?rpc=44

Related:

Consumer groups want Comcast fined for thwarting the Bible

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of consumer groups are petitioning the FCC to fine Comcast $195,000
| for every customer affected by their BitTorrent-throttling practices. The FCC
| has said in the past that service providers can't "block" customers from
| using certain applications or websites, but it hasn't enforced that policy.
`----

http://valleywag.com/tech/politics/consumer-groups-want-comcast-fined-for-thwarting-the-bible-317960.php

Comcast reported to FCC

,----[ Quote ]
| P2P throttling breaks FCC 'net neutrality' policy
|
| [...]
|
| Among the consumer groups who have approached the FCC are the Consumer
| Federation of America, the Consumers Union, the Media Access Project and
| professors at the Internet practices of the Yale, Harvard and Stanford law
| schools.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/comcast-reported-fcc

Comcast's "We Don't Throttle BitTorrent" Internal Talking Points Memo

http://consumerist.com/consumer/leaks/comcasts-we-dont-throttle-bittorrent-internal-talking-points-memo-315791.php

Comcast Isn’t Net Neutral; Are They Liars, Too?

,----[ Quote ]
| Following reports that Comcast isn’t net neutral, Consumerist blog has
| acquired several leaks from Comcast insiders, claiming that they do indeed
| use Sandvine for packet shaping, and that customer service representatives
| are being told nothing about how the network technology works,
`----

http://mashable.com/2007/10/26/comcast-isnt-net-neutral-are-they-liars-too/

Senators want probe of Comcast's BitTorrent 'discrimination'

,----[ Quote ]
| The senators suggested the incidents indicate "Congress should consider
| adopting targeted regulations to protect consumers and ensure a vibrant and
| open communications platform."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9805308-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

,----[ Quote ]
| While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to behave,
| another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have politicians step in
| and regulate.
|
| On Tuesday, I discussed the issue of Comcast's anti-BitTorrent "network
| management" with Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., who is a strong supporter of
| consumer rights and has led the battle to undo the damage caused by the
| Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9804158-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

OiNK Down, Norwegian BitTorrent Trackers Next

,----[ Quote ]
| With the BitTorrent world spinning on its heels after the shock takedown of
| the huge OiNK tracker, there are now indications that the shutdowns may
| continue. According to the lawyer who lost against ‘DVD Jon’, next stop is
| Norway and raids are imminent.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/oink-down-norwegian-bittorrent-trackers-next-071024/

TorrentSpy Traffic Plunges After US Ban

,----[ Quote ]
| The MPAA has caused TorrentSpy, once the most popular BitTorrent site, some
| serious headaches. After a federal judge ordered TorrentSpy to log all user
| data stored in RAM, they decided to block access to US users, consequently
| their traffic dropped significantly.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/torrentspy-traffic-plunges-after-us-ban-071006/

BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
| his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
| wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
| is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-admin-monitored-by-us-government-forced-to-dump-linux/

Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?

,----[ Quote ]
| Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is allowed
| to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your ISP
| can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by blocking
| the transmission of future packets.
|
| According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
| sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to be
| from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9769645-46.html

Comcast Cuts Off Heavy Internet Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Customers complain bandwidth limits are secret.
`----

http://consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/08/comcast_ban.html?imw=Y

Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

| Torrent indexing site Torrentspy.com appears to have disabled torrent
| searches for IPs that originate in the United States.
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/27/1541244&from=rss

Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-throttles-bittorrent-traffic-seeding-impossible/