[News] Mandriva Part of European Drive for Free Software; Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring Reaches Beta 2

  • Subject: [News] Mandriva Part of European Drive for Free Software; Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring Reaches Beta 2
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 04:56:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Government/corporate project declares plan to promote OSS within the EU

,----[ Quote ]
| An ambitious initiative that aims to bring open source software to a new
| level in Europe hopes to make competition with US companies more interesting.
| QualiPSo is a four-year project partly funded by the EU. Its mission is
| to "bring together the major players of a new way to use and deploy open
| source software (OSS), fostering its quality and trust from corporations and
| governments."
|
| QualiPSo members include corporations, universities, and public
| administrations (PA) of various kinds from 20 countries. The main industrial
| players are Mandriva, Atos Origin, Bull, and Engineering Ingegneria
| Informatica. While Qualipso founders include organizations from China and
| Brazil, the main project focus now is on Europe.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/126700

Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring Beta 2

,----[ Quote ]
| The second beta, codenamed Orchis, for Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring (2008.1) is
| now available.
`----

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2008.1_Beta_2

Related:

[Mandriva CEO:] An open letter to Steve Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! I’m impressed, Steve! What have you done for these guys to change their
| mind like this? It’s pretty clear to me, and it will be clear to everyone.
| How do you call what you just did Steve, in the place where you live? In my
| place, they give it various names, I’m sure you know them.
|
| Hey Steve, how do you feel looking at yourself in the mirror in the morning?
|
| Of course, I will keep fighting this one and the next one, and the next one.
| You have the money, the power, and maybe we have a different sense of ethics
| you and I, but I believe that hard work, good technology and ethics can win
| too.
`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/an-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer/

Lessons from Africa: How to Kill Your Own FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| So, even as Microsoft claims superior quality over Linux, they act as if they
| don't even buy their own FUD. If they really believed that Windows was
| superior to Linux, they wouldn't have to bribe people with “marketing help”
| to get them to choose Windows.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-09-030-26-OP-MD-MS

Linux wins Nigerian school desktops back from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124
http://tinyurl.com/27ycq9