[News] [SOT] New Examples of the Corruption Lessig Speaks About

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] New Examples of the Corruption Lessig Speaks About
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 23:14:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
EU suggests singers and musicians should earn copyright fees for 95 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Singers and musicians should earn royalty fees for 95 years — almost double
| the current 50-year limit, a European Union official said Thursday as he
| promised to draft new copyright protection rules.
`----

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/02/14/business/EU-FIN-EU-Music-Royalties.php

Money makes laws.

RIAA gets Does' names after school threatened with contempt

,----[ Quote ]
| Hours after a federal court judge ordered Oklahoma State University to show
| cause why it shouldn't be held in contempt for failing to respond to an RIAA
| subpoena, attorneys for the school e-mailed a list of students' names to the
| RIAA's attorneys.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080213-riaa-gets-does-names-after-school-threatened-with-contempt.html
http://tinyurl.com/yrxvr5

Mafia masters the art of extortion.

Related:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkZFIwmc-8

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet governments continue to push ahead with this idiot idea -- both Britain
| and Japan for example are considering extending existing terms. Why?
|
| The answer is a kind of corruption of the political process. Or better,
| a "corruption" of the political process. I don't mean corruption in the
| simple sense of bribery. I mean "corruption" in the sense that the
| system is so queered by the influence of money that it can't even get
| an issue as simple and clear as term extension right.
`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20