[News] Silverthorne, GNU/Linux and Two Convicted Monopolists

  • Subject: [News] Silverthorne, GNU/Linux and Two Convicted Monopolists
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:14:21 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
PC Power in Your Handheld

,----[ Quote ]
| The first of the new x86 chips for mobile devices, due in the second half of
| this year, won't appear in smartphones. Code-named Silverthorne, they will be
| used in micro-notebooks or tablet-type computers with 5-in. to 7-in.
| displays. Intel and Microsoft (MSFT) can't agree on what to call these
| products. Intel calls Linux-based units, such as the Eee PC from ASUSTek
| Computer in Taiwan, "mobile Internet devices" (MIDs). If the same basic
| hardware runs Windows, Microsoft calls the device an Ultra Mobile PC. Current
| MIDs use low-power versions of Intel's laptop chips. Silverthorne will allow
| smaller tablets with longer battery life.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_08/b4072000354662.htm

Related:

UMPC News : New Linux distro for MIDs to be launched in May. Redflag
Mid Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The new distro will have a 500MB footprint, will support
| power-saving features, boot time is shown as 18 seconds on
| one of the slides.
`----

http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=480

Is Intel Ready to Ditch Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft would not be happy, even if ultramobile PCs are a tiny blip
| on their radar screen right now.  What makes Glide a serious contender
| is that it is a true browser-based Webtop that lets you keep all of
| your documents, photos, music, and other files stored online, and
| then it transcodes everything to Flash for easy delivery to PCs
| and mobile devices.
`----

http://blogs.business2.com/business2blog/2007/04/is_intel_ready_.html

Low-cost student laptops to run Mandriva Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva, the France-based Linux distributor, will have a
| version of its Mandriva Linux 2007 pre-installed on Intel's
| new low-end laptop for students, the Classmate PC.

Intel chief sings iPhone's praises

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's iPhone is forcing a new wave of mobile device innovation
| and validates the superiority of Unix-like systems on mobile devices
| over Windows, claimed Intel chief executive Paul Otellini.
`----

http://www.mobile88.com/news/read.asp?file=/2007/3/6/20070306014323&sec=International

Microsoft Kills Origami, Presents Vistagami

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp., the pioneer behind the Ultra Mobile PC movement
| (Origami), is more or less killing the original concept and
| coming up with a more upbeat version.
`----

http://www.cooltechzone.com/Special_Reports/Special_Reports/Microsoft_Kills_Origami%2C_Presents_Vistagami_200701302798/
http://tinyurl.com/2nhttc

Whatever Happened To The Origami?

,----[ Quote ]
| Ultimately Origami is a classic example of how a viral buzz can
| work against a product release. Expectations were too high and the
| final product was puzzling and didn't fulfill any specific consumer
| demand. By the time the systems were actually released the hype had
| died down and there was practically zero consumer awareness. I've
| actually considered the possibility that the viral Origami campaign
| was a warm-up for the Zune campaign that followed later in the summer.
`----

http://www.medialoper.com/hot-topics/hardware/whatever-happened-to-the-origami/

Dell stops selling Axim handheld

,----[ Quote ]