[News] Truly Cross-platform Installation and BitRock

  • Subject: [News] Truly Cross-platform Installation and BitRock
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 06:01:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
BitRock: Application Installation in a Networked World

,----[ Quote ]
| As an aside, when I say cross-platform, I don’t mean Adobe AIR-style “sure
| we’re cross-platform - you know, Mac and Windows,” but rather truly
| cross-platform. Both dominant commercial distributions, Solaris and Linux.
| Even better, the Linux support is not limited to the dominant commercial
| distributions, in Red Hat and SuSE, but is inclusive of Debian, Ubuntu and
| other commercial and non-commercial variants.
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2008/02/12/bitrock-application-installation-in-a-networked-world/

Technology - Taming the data deluge: the new open source iRODS data grid system

,----[ Quote ]
| This deluge of data is bringing with it unprecedented challenges in
| organizing and accessing digital information. To meet these challenges, the
| Data-Intensive Computing Environments group at the San Diego Supercomputer
| Center has released version 1.0 of iRODS, the Integrated Rule-Oriented Data
| System, a powerful new open-source approach to managing digital data.
`----

http://www.isgtw.org/?pid=1000888

Windows is the only platform that is not supported (see below).

Yesterday:

Open source tool emerges for managing petabytes of data

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/021108-irods-data-management-tool.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news