[News] Another Nail on Microsoft's Beloved DRM Coffin

  • Subject: [News] Another Nail on Microsoft's Beloved DRM Coffin
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 03:37:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Legal, major label DRM-free MP3s hit UK (at last)

,----[ Quote ]
| Play.com said the average price per track will be 70 pence. Album bundles are
| charged at £6.99.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/13/play_uk_drm_free/

Interesting:

Armed police swoop on MP3-packing mechanic

,----[ Quote ]
| An innocent Stoke-on-Trent garage mechanic enjoyed a spell in the cells after
| armed cops held him at gunpoint having mistaken his MP3 player for a pistol,
| the Daily Mail reports.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/13/mp3_gun_swoop/

Maybe he didn't license MP3 format from trolls with intellectual monopolies.
Or... He should have used an "Ogg player", not an "MP3 Player". Why don't they
just call it an "audio player" anyway?

Yesterday:

Embarrassed by DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| The point behind all this is, of course, to conceal the very existence of DRM
| from the user..
|
| Ergo, we need to shout about the presence of DRM from the rooftops: the more
| people know about it, the more they will dislike it, as Microsoft well
| understands....
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/embarrassed-by-drm.html

Related:

Microsoft: We Like DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Jobs wants the music business to drop restrictions for digital
| tunes. But Microsoft, which began competing head to head with Apple
| in the digital music business last fall, is happy with the way things
| are, says media exec Robbie Bach.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/08/zune-drm-itunes-tech-media-cx_df_0208bach.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/2lrz3y

Microsoft Tells Apple To Stop Complaining About DRM

http://www.podcastingnews.com/2007/04/13/microsoft-apple-drm/

Golden Rant : Microsoft DRM's gone too far

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft appears to have hit the wrong button on its critical
| Windows XP download service late last month, pretty well forcing
| every XP user to upgrade to Windows Media Player (WiMP) 11 if
| they (like me and many others) have the automatic download/install
| option enabled for critical updates.
`----

http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=712

The Longest Suicide Note in History

,----[ Quote ]
| Gutmann: The genie's out of the bottle before the operating system has even
| been released! But that doesn't mean Vista users in particular - and
| the computer community at large - won't end up paying for Microsoft's
| DRM folly. At the risk of repeating myself repeating myself, yet
| another reason to move to Linux.
`----     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://blogs.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/tux-love/2007/01/the_longest_suicide_note_in_hi.html

Avoid the Vista badge, it means DRM inside

,----[ Quote ]
| The root of this crappy DRM infection is Microsoft. It is the driving
| force here. This has nothing to do with protecting content, as we
| keep pointing out, there has never been a single thing that has had
| a DRM infection applied that didn't end up cracked on the net in
| hours. DRM is about walled gardens and control.
|
| He who controls the DRM infection controls the market. DRM is
| about preventing you from doing anything with the devices
| without paying the gatekeeper a fee. This is what MS wants,
| nothing less than a slice of everything watched, listened to
| or discussed from now on. DRM prevents others from playing
| there, thanks to the DMCA and other anti-consumer laws.
|
| Make no mistake, MS is pushing the DRM malware as hard as
| it can so it can rake in money hand over fist with no
| competition. It is really good at lock-in, in fact, the firm
| based its entire business model on harming the user so they
| have to comply and spend more.

DRM in Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Vista includes an array of "features" that you don't want.
| These features will make your computer less reliable and less secure.
| They'll make your computer less stable and run slower. They will
| cause technical support problems. They may even require you to
| upgrade some of your peripheral hardware and existing software.
| And these features won't do anything useful. In fact, they're
| working against you. They're digital rights management (DRM)
| features built into Vista at the behest of the entertainment
| industry.
|
| And you don't get to refuse them.
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/02/drm_in_windows.html

Macrovision update plugs zero-day DRM exploit

| The flaw, though Symantec wasn't specific on this, involves a privilege
| elevation bug in Macrovision secdrv.sys driver that comes bundled with
| Windows XP and 2003 (though not Windows Vista).
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/06/macrovision_drm_update/

DRM – a big win for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]