[News] GNU/Linux to Become the 3-D UI Desktop?

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux to Become the 3-D UI Desktop?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 23:23:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Real 3D interface by Compiz Fusion soon?

,----[ Quote ]
| A post from the Compiz Fusion Blog informed us about some interesting things
| that are under development. Imagine a very cheap 3D interface with head
| tracking, using the WII Remote... Isn't it a great idea?
`----

http://www.pramnos.com/story69-2390.html

A large car-maker in France chose Linux desktops because of the prospects of
modeling and interaction in 3-D. It will come soon.

Related:

Introducing the real 3D Compiz!

,----[ Quote ]
| Although I do not think that people would be wearing funny glasses all day
| long to work on their PC, possibilities this plugin presents are quite
| exciting for gamers and everyone wanting to show off the ‘real’ 3D desktop.
`----

http://dev.compiz-fusion.org/~cyberorg/2007/11/01/introducing-the-real-3d-compiz/
http://tinyurl.com/2vvqql

Multi-touch support for MPX [in Linux]

,----[ Quote ]
| MPX already supported multiple input devices. Which blows pretty much all
| assumptions in user interfaces (input) out of the water. Now I've gone one
| step further and added support for multi-touch displays. Have a look at this
| video...
`----

http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/?q=node/86

Microsoft Rips off Researchers at Pompeu Fabra University of Barcelona

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently while on vacation I was flipping channels and came across a
| channel called “current TV”, what caught my eye was a  computer  booting
| to Kubuntu. This computer looked remarkably like Microsoft’s new
| Surface touch table. Funny thing is the reactable has been around
| over three years and research has been going on much longer than that.
`----

http://dthomasdigital.wordpress.com/2007/06/22/microsoft-rips-off-researchers-at-pompeu-fabra-university-of-barcelona/

Microsoft Surface idea not that new?

,----[ Quote ]
| An attached PC, running Linux and Reactrix software, calculates the
| location and movement of an object interrupting the beam and enables
| the system to allow a basic interaction with projected content.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32389/118/

Jeff Han's Research Ripped by Microsoft Surface?

,----[ Quote ]
| Jeff Han, consulting research scientist for NYU's Department of
| Computer Science, developed a multi-touch interactive graphical
| interface, which he presented at the TED conference over a year
| ago. His research turned into its own company, Perceptive Pixel.
|
| Now it seems Microsoft completely ripped the idea and created
| Microsoft Surface.
`----

http://www.jorispoort.com/2007/05/jeff-hans-research-ripped-by-microsoft.html

Compiz-Fusion Community News for February 9, 2008: KDE 4 is in.

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2008/02/11/compiz-fusion-community-news-for-february-9-2008-kde-4-is-in/