Re: [News] World Mobile Congress Claimed Dominated by Linux Platforms

> Linux-based Android and LiMo Dominate Mobile-Phone Show
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Attention at the World Mobile Congress in Barcelona has focused on
>| Linux-based mobile platforms, including Google's Android and LiMo.
> `----
>
> http://www.mobile-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=58338

It was bound to happen.  It's an economic no-brainer;  the industry
makes about 1bn phones per year, so paying even £1 per OS instance would
cost £1,000,000,000, per year.

In 2007, there were a substantial number of PCs sold, that being about
240 million for the full year.  More info here:

http://www.internet-nexus.com/2007/07/look-at-worldwide-market-share-for-pc.htm

This means that mobile devices are selling at 4 times the rate of PCs, a
proportion of about 4:1.  Whilst PC sales will certainly increase as
ulti-mini devices like N810, Eee, OLPC arrive, it seems unlikely that
Windows will get any traction in that space.

Hence my point of ages ago, which I'll restate... the desktop is dead,
and Windows only ever mattered on the desktop.  Microsoft should
consider spinning off Zune and Xbox divisions, as they might just make
it on their own, if they could just throw off windows and adopt linux.