Re: [News] Novell Again Claimed in "Alliance" with Ballmer's Mafia

> In article <12ksj.98414$L%6.74485@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> The whole point of ODF is to be open, /not/ to support the peculiarities
>> of a particular vendor format.
>
> So let's see.  Instead of looking just at StarOffice and saying "let's
> make a format that exactly covers what this needs, no more, no less",
> they could have looked at StarOffice, WordPerfect, Office, and maybe a
> couple of others, and, with just a few simple changes, made ODF a format
> that works for all of them, and you think it is *good* that they instead
> choose to make ODF not suitable for the vast majority of existing
> documents, thus guaranteeing that there would be at least two formats
> people would have to support?

Of course.  Let the vendors of those products figure out how to convert
their documents to ODF.

Listen up, Tim.  The point is not to perpetuate vendor-specific formats.
The point is to go forward with an open format.

The vendor-specific formats will stick around as long as the vendors
keep their software up to date with the meandering path of the Good Ship
Microsoft, Destination unknown.

See the sig.

--
I'm not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it.
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli