[News] XML Turns 10, Microsoft Tries to Replace Standard with Application (Again)

  • Subject: [News] XML Turns 10, Microsoft Tries to Replace Standard with Application (Again)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:41:41 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
W3C XML is Ten!

,----[ Quote ]
| To mark the ten year anniversary of the publication of its Extensible Markup
| Language (XML) 1.0 as a W3C Recommendation, the World Wide Web Consortium
| plans throughout 2008 to recognize and thank the dedicated communities and
| individuals responsible for XML for their contributions — including people
| who have participated in W3C's XML groups and mailing lists, the SGML
| community, and xml-dev — through a variety of activities and events.
`----

http://www.w3.org/2008/xml10/xml10-pressrelease

There can be only one [document standard]

,----[ Quote ]
| I will concentrate on one single, central issue, instead of starting a
| multi-threaded discussion. There cannot be two International Standards.
|
| [...]
|
| In all examples of partly overlapping International Standard (with maybe one
| or two exceptions), essentially they have profound differences and serve
| different purposes. One can think of the duality between TCP and UDP:
| theoretically, both can be used for most of the applications that the other
| is used, but they have trade-offs that make one better than others if you
| choose reliability over light-weight, or the reverse. Sometimes there are
| multiple standards for a single industry domain, like JPEG and JPEG2000. But
| these multiple standards reflect the evolution of technology, in this case
| from DCT coding to Wavelets, allowing for better representation in a specific
| field.
`----

http://www.piana.eu/?q=en/disposition_comments_2

OOXML = derivative of Microsoft Office. Period. It's not a standard. It's a
series of corruptions. Microsoft is in trouble (see next post), so it's hardly
surprising that it resorts to this.

Related:

EU Initiates Investigation Against Microsoft OOXML Push

,----[ Quote ]
| But with Steve Ballmer taking over as CEO, there was supposed to be a kinder,
| gentler Microsoft - one that would play nicely with its competitors.  When
| antitrust regulators in turn challenged this new Microsoft, it issued not
| challenges to fight to the end to prove that it had done nothing illegal, but
| statements promising to "cooperate fully."
|
| But at the same time, Microsoft is still a tough competitor.  As Microsoft's
| Director of Corporate Standards Jason Matusow famously warned at his blog
| last year:
|
|     Make no mistake; all parties are looking at the full picture to find
|     strategies that will result in the outcome they desire. Provided - of
|     course - that they do so within the context of the rules that apply to
|     the process, this is exactly what one should expect to happen. It is
|     going to be a very interesting next few months.
|
| Indeed, the months that followed proved to be interesting indeed.  Microsoft
| said that some of its employees became over zealous, most flagrantly in
| Sweden, where marketing assists were promised to several business partners as
| incentives to join the national standards committee and vote for OOXM.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20080208082501776

EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

,----[ Quote ]
| I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
| happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
| Quinn was by no means unique.

Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

,----[ Quote ]
| Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
| mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
| than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
| and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
| index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
| disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below.
`----

http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

Microsoft accused of more OOXML standards fiddling

,----[ Quote ]