[News] Stephen Fry Advocates GNU/Linux, Linux 'Desktop' Domination Possible

  • Subject: [News] Stephen Fry Advocates GNU/Linux, Linux 'Desktop' Domination Possible
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 01:01:13 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Can Stephen Fry deliver open source to the UK?

,----[ Quote ]
| “The two great pillars of Open Source are the GNU project and Linux. I shan’t
| burden you with too much detail, I’ll just make the outrageous claim that
| your computer will be running some descendant of those two within the next
| five years and that your life will be better and happier as a result.”
|
| Fry has previously advocated the adoption of Firefox and discussed the
| problems caused by proprietary music formats, amongst other things.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/02/12/can-stephen-fry-deliver-open-source-to-the-uk/

How to Create a Desktop Linux Monopoly

,----[ Quote ]
| What if I told you that it would actually be possible to see a Linux monopoly
| with the right components in place taking form within a short five-year
| period? That would be impossible due to licensing and availability, right?
|
| Nonsense. While it would never "out maneuver" Microsoft Windows or OS X from
| a monopolistic point on view, with certain things in place, a company pushing
| a tightly controlled Linux distribution could definitely corner the desktop
| Linux market in a very short period of time.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/article.php/3727516

Recent:

Deliver us from Microsoft