[News] AMD Takes Open Source Obligations Further, 64-bit Performance Tested

  • Subject: [News] AMD Takes Open Source Obligations Further, 64-bit Performance Tested
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:08:38 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
AMD Launches Open GPU Website

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD has today launched their new open GPU documentation website for
| register-level documents covering their ATI Radeon products. In addition,
| they are now providing an email address for any open-source developers who
| may have questions concerning these documents.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjMyOQ

AMD Phenom 32-bit vs. 64-bit Performance

,----[ Quote ]
| When it came to Linux gaming and exploring the 32-bit versus 64-bit
| performance with the AMD Phenom, in most cases Ubuntu x86_64 was slightly
| slower than the 32-bit version. The only test where the 64-bit OS had a
| strong advantage was when running Quake 4 SMP at 1680 x 1050 with ultra
| quality settings and then it was able to shine. As would be expected, in both
| LAME encoding and Gzip compression tests the 64-bit version of Ubuntu on the
| AMD Phenom 9500 with an AMD 790FX motherboard was the leader.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=998&num=1

Related:

AMD updates Catalyst

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD also promised a raft of tweaks for the Linux version of the driver,
| though it admitted the code isn't ready yet. Headline additions include
| support for the latest versions of leading Linux distros, including Ubuntu
| 7.10 and RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.1.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/01/17/amd_updates_catalyst/

AMD 2007 Year In Review

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD does realize that everything isn't perfect and going into 2008, they are
| working on more features and changes for their Linux driver as well as
| bringing on additional staff. Need we say that 2008 should be another very
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| interesting year for AMD and Linux?
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=952&num=1

Future AMD GPUs To Be More Open-Source Friendly?

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD is on the heels of releasing the next set of GPU programming
| documentation to aide in the development of the open-source R500/600 drivers
| (xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeonhd). It's already been discussed what
| this NDA-free documentation release will have, but one of the questions that
| have repeatedly come up is if/when AMD will release information on
| accelerated video playback. AMD's John Bridgman has now stated what they plan
| to release in the video realm as well as a new requirement for their future
| graphics processors: being open-source friendly while avoiding DRM.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=955&num=1

AMD Releases Additional R600 GPU Programming Documentation

,----[ Quote ]
| In the second NDA-free documentation dump, AMD has just released programming
| data on the M76 and RS690 graphics processors. While the RadeonHD developers
| have already had these documents, this information will help the free
| software community in understanding the internal workings of AMD's graphics
| processors.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=960&num=1

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD’s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
| news desktop Linux has had in a long time.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427

Intel and AMD's bitter -- and strange -- rivalry

,----[ Quote ]
| For, in a strange way, Intel, the world's No. 1 chipmaker, seems to need the
| smaller AMD as a foil on the tech stage, and AMD needs Intel in order to play
| the role of the little guy battling the big gorilla.
|
| Analyst Roger Kay of Endpoint Technologies Inc. said each of the two
| rivals "is pursuing its own imperatives, and any action it takes can be seen
| as a straightforward reaction to its capabilities, circumstances and
| character."
|
| But he noted, "Intel would likely face greater antitrust scrutiny if AMD went
| out of business, and AMD has gotten so used to operating in a climate
| dominated by Intel that its character has been formed around the obstacle."
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/intel-amds-rivalry-heats-up/story.aspx?guid=%7B93349376%2D9699%2D472D%2D95DA%2DB4C1E1E9335A%7D&siteid=yhoof

AMD's shares rally despite red-ink results

,----[ Quote ]
| Shares of Advanced Micro Devices Inc. jumped Friday after the chipmaker
| reported financial results that analysts say showed AMD isn't in as deep a
| hole as some had feared.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/amds-shares-rise-investors-see/story.aspx?guid=%7B35C9A341%2D06BC%2D45E4%2DA7A3%2D78D8EBF5990F%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/2myxce

Gritty AMD's chips are still down

,----[ Quote ]
| Hector Ruiz, AMD CEO, says his company has been at the forefront of
| innovation in computing technology and accuses Intel of abusing its monopoly
| in world markets.
|
| [...]
|
| "If you look at the last five years, if you look at what major innovations
| have occurred in computing technology, every single one of them came from
| AMD. Not a single innovation came from Intel," he claimed.
|
| "So I would say that Intel is trying to catch up with us in that respect."
|
| Ruiz accuses Intel of trying to use their market share and production
| capabilities to squeeze AMD out of the market.
|
| "Intel continues... to abuse their monopoly and that's why around the world
| governments and regulatory agencies continue to go after them."
`----

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07/12/01/10171434.html

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

EU issues antitrust charge sheet against Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission issued formal charges against Intel on Thursday for
| allegedly using illegal tactics against smaller rival Advanced Micro Devices,
| a European Commission spokesman said.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6199093.html

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

AMD chief condemns Intel 'abuses'

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, after the Japan Fair Trade Commission found Intel guilty of
| offering illegal rebates to Japanese PC makers, AMD filed an anti-trust
| suit against its competitor in the U.S. District Court in Delaware. The
| case has not been decided.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/21/amd_ceo_condemns_intel_abuses/

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Video: Henri Richard comes out swinging at Intel during AMD press conference

,----[ Quote ]
| [AMD's Henri Richard:] "I am sick and tired of being pushed around
| by a competitor that doesn't respect the rules of fair and open
| competition."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=363

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Lenovo got financial help from Intel, claim

,----[ Quote ]
| Journalists on the title said Lenovo is being paid a "pretty
| penny" from Intel to use its chips.

| In 2005, a unit of Shenzhen Donjin countersued, saying Intel engaged
| in monopolistic practices.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/china_intel_settlement.html?.v=7

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]
| Chairman Craig Barrett, CEO Paul Otellini and sales chief Sean Maloney
| have appeared on a list of Intel employees thought to have deleted
| e-mails possibly relevant to AMD's anti-trust lawsuit against its
| larger rival. The missing e-mails have thrust a livid state of mind
| onto AMD's lawyers who have very serious problems with Intel's
| rather lax document retention policy.
|
| [...]
|
| CEO Otellini appears to have been one of these troublesome employees.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/

U.S. judge orders Intel to try to recover e-mails

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20070307:MTFH90775_2007-03-07_18-56-16_N06406049&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/2fbanr