[News] [Rival] Another Major Blow to Microsoft's (and Toshiba's) DVD Format

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Another Major Blow to Microsoft's (and Toshiba's) DVD Format
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 00:20:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Netflix dumps HD DVD, opts for Blu-ray

,----[ Quote ]
| Stating that the industry has already picked a winner in the battle of
| next-generation DVD superiority, Netflix announced Monday that it will stock
| only Blu-ray discs and drop the HD DVD format. Since the first
| high-definition DVDs came on the market in early 2006, Netflix has offered
| both formats.
`----

http://www.macworld.com/article/132047/2008/02/netflix.html

Recent:

Xbox 360 HD DVD Drive 48 percent price drop

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft have announced a dramatic drop in the Xbox 360 add on HD DVD drive
| package.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16509/1063/

HD DVD News: Why Intel Supports the HD DVD Format

,----[ Quote ]
| Regardless, many believe that the format which can proivde a replacement to
| current DVD players (HD DVD is support by the DVD forum) at a low cost is HD
| DVD; including tech giant Intel.
`----

http://ilovehddvd.com/hd-dvd-news-why-intel-supports-the-hd-dvd-format

Related:

Woolworths stores to stop selling HD DVD

,----[ Quote ]
| Woolworths has thrown its high street heft behind the Blu-ray Disc format.
| From March, it will no longer sell HD DVDs in its shops.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/28/woolworths_exclusively_backing_blu_ray/

Toshiba's HD DVD Price Cuts May Not Stop Blu-ray

,----[ Quote ]
| According to industry reports, Toshiba has invested nearly $3 million for a
| 30-second advertising spot in Sunday's Super Bowl. The company plans to use
| the spot to highlight its lineup of low-priced HD-DVD players.
|
| But the increasingly difficult question for Toshiba is what consumers will
| play on those HD-DVD units if they buy them. Just two weeks ago, Warner Bros.
| Studios announced that it was dropping the HD-DVD format entirely and would
| produce movies in the Blu-ray format alone. The move leaves just three
| companies -- DreamWorks, Paramount and Universal -- still releasing Hollywood
| titles on HD DVD.
`----

http://www.cio-today.com/fullpage/fullpage.xhtml?dest=%2Fnews%2FToshiba-Price-Cuts-May-Not-Stop-Blu-Ray%2Fstory.xhtml%3Fstory_id%3D13000G0BBW9Q
http://tinyurl.com/3dugxl

Jobs: Blu-ray wins HD format war then loses to downloads

,----[ Quote ]
| Blu-ray Disc beat HD DVD, but who cares? Downloads, not physical media, are
| the future of HD content consumption. So said Apple CEO Steve Jobs this week,
| a comment that's a distant echo of allegations made by Transformers director
| Michael Bay last year.
|
| Bay grumbled that the HD format war was, in part, Microsoft's fault, the
| fight being stirred up to worry consumers into not buying eitehr format and
| give the software giant to put movie download and rental services in place.
| Which is, of course, just what Apple launched this week: HD-ready iTunes
| Movie Rentals.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/18/jobs_on_bluray_hddvd/

DVD sales plummet

,----[ Quote ]
| USA Today points out that the the movie download market could be another
| killer. That industry is expected to double from $689 million in 2006 to $1.6
| billion in 2008.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/08/dvd-sales-plummet

Microsoft to bypass High Def disc war with Mediaroom on Xbox 360

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why Microsoft is not overly worried about Warner Bros jumping ship
| from the HD DVD that they back, to Blu-Ray high definition disc format.  They
| know that in the long run, the physical media will be bypassed.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16006/1063/

No Winner In Blu-ray, HD DVD Battle

,----[ Quote ]
| Both rival formats seeking to become the high-definition successor to the DVD
| have attracted consumers, and while Blu-ray Disc leads HD DVD, the race is
| far from over.
|
| [...]
|
| "That is the dirty secret no one is talking about," said Bay, director of the
| recent hit film "Transformers." "They want confusion in the market until they
| perfect the digital downloads." Microsoft sells HD movie and TV show
| downloads to its video game consoles through its Xbox Live Marketplace.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/071224/tech.html?.v=1

Director: Microsoft fueling HD wars

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is deliberately feeding into the HD disc format wars to ensure that
| its own downloads succeed where physical copies fail, says movie director
| Michael Bay in a response to a question posed through his official forums.
| The producer contends that Microsoft is writing "$100 million dollar checks"
| to movie studios to ensure HD DVD exclusives that hurt the overall market
| regardless of the format's actual merit or its popularity, preventing any one
| format from gaining a clear upper hand. Bay's own Transformers is available
| on disc only in the less popular HD DVD format despite his stated preference
| for Blu-ray. To the director, this is primarily a stalling tactic while
| Microsoft refines its own online-only technology.
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/12/04/bay.on.microsoft.hd/

Two Studios to Support HD DVD Over Rival

,----[ Quote ]
|     But money talks: Paramount and DreamWorks Animation together will receive
|     about $150 million in financial incentives for their commitment to HD
|     DVD, according to two Viacom executives with knowledge of the deal but
|     who asked not to be identified.
|
|     The incentives will come in a combination of cash and promotional
|     guarantees. Toshiba, for instance, will use the release of “Shrek the
|     Third” as part of an HD DVD marketing campaign.
|
|     Paramount and DreamWorks Animation declined to comment. Microsoft, the
|     most prominent technology company supporting HD DVDs, said it could not
|                                                                   ^^^^^^^^^
|     rule out payment but said it wrote no checks. “We provided no financial
|     incentives to Paramount or DreamWorks whatsoever,” said Amir Majidimehr,
|     the head of Microsoft’s consumer media technology group.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/technology/21disney.html?ei=5088&en=d4e1f285e2f41437&ex=1345348800&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1187698143-B5wO3L/F+4r1NyAsum87vQ

Cringely the Unemployable on the fallacy of Web 2.0, Microsoft ruthlessness,
and the CB radio of our decade

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html