Re: [News] Survey: Microsoft Office Monopoly Eroding, Gauged at Just 66% Installed Base

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Alfresco's Open Source Barometer
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | One of the most interesting additions to the survey this year is a
> | question about which office suite people use. Overall, OpenOffice.org
> | chalks up a very respectable 24% to Microsoft Office's 66%. This is a
> | much higher penetration than I would have guessed for open source on the
> | desktop, and suggests that among those adopting open source programs
> | OpenOffice.org is doing really well ? pretty much at the Firefox level
> | of success.
> `----
>
> http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs
index.cfm?entryid=475&blogid=14

Thats just totally amazing!!!
Open Office has gone mainstream as it now has more than 7% of global market
share? Good grief I didn't even know that up till now!!

It means businesses, investors, bankers, governments and startups
can all invest in Open Office as their preferred office product and
not be exposed to blame or risks. Since ODF is The international
standard for office documents and interchange of information,
there is no reason for any governments, departments,,, down to
a job interview firm wanting to use anything other than ODF
format. And open office (http://www.openoffice.org ) is free
and runs equally well on EEE to Linux PCs and other mainstream
platforms.

> Last year it was 20% of The Register's reader who said they were using
> OpenOffice.org.
>
> Large survey, in case you wonder:
>
> First impressions count most with open source
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Today Alfresco is presenting the findings of the second Open Source
> | Barometer. This is the largest study of the usage of open source in the
> | enterprise stack by the Global 5000 and Governments across the world.
> | The survey was conducted throughout 2007 using opt-in data provided by
> | 35,000 Alfresco community members.
> `----
>
> http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&entryid=476
>
> More on OpenOffice.org, once extended (for free):
>
> 12 Must-Have OpenOffice Extensions
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Other than being a free complete office suite, OpenOffice allows users
> | to install extensions to improve its functionality and enhance the user
> | experience. Here is a list of useful extensions for you.
> `----
>
> http://maketecheasier.com/12-must-have-openoffice-extensions/2008/02/11
>

> Yesterday:
>
> Subject: OpenOffice.org on OLPC
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I'm amazed -- it works. I installed OOo to a USB stick and ran it from
> | the terminal on the OLPC. It couldn't find a Java runtime, so I
> | installed the Java SDK and set my $PATH variable properly. It appears
> | to work like a champ.  I loaded a 5MB word processing document with
> | images, and it's fairly responsive. I'm very amazed/impressed.
> `----
>
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/odf-adoption/200802/msg00002.html
>

> QualityLogic Introduces Test Files for OpenOffice.org Office Suite
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Test files are now available for "Writer" and "Draw." "Impress" is in
> | development, and additional applications are planned.
> `----
>
> http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=818584
>

> OOoCon in China?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The appearance of Beijing is particularly interesting, because it's
> | still not really clear how well open source is doing in China. Maybe
> | this is a hint that there's more interest than you might think.
> `----
>
> http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/ooocon-in-china.html
>

> Recent:
>
> German penal institutions looking into OpenOffice.org
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | It looks like that OpenOffice.org is also being used in areas where many
> | of us don't expect it, or wouldn't research for. I have reports that
> | some German penal institutions are looking into OpenOffice.org for their
> | daily office work.
> `----
>
> http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/2008/02
german-penal-institutions-looking-into.html