[News] New Linux Phones and Stacks Demonstrated in This Week's Mobile World Congress

  • Subject: [News] New Linux Phones and Stacks Demonstrated in This Week's Mobile World Congress
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 07:43:06 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
GoHello debuts at Mobile World Congress

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, Linux-based phones will be on show by the LiMo Foundation and Red
| Bend software. The LiMo Platform, unveiled at the beginning of February, is
| said to be the first globally competitive, Linux-based software platform for
| mobile handsets. Backed by vendors such as Motorola, Panasonic, Samsung and
| Vodafone, LiMo is a hardware-independent phone platform with publicly
| available APIs for application developers.
`----

http://www.itweek.co.uk/itweek/news/2209296/gohello-debuts-mobile-world

Related:

Chip heads drive Linux mobile challenge

,----[ Quote ]
| But Apple can't afford to be complacent. The iPhone, along with Windows, will
| soon be under siege from a plethora of Linux-based mobile devices, thanks to
| those chaps in the chip sector.
|
| Intel has released the latest edition, version 1.3, of its Mobile Platform
| Software Developers Kit (SDK) that comes with added Linux support. The
| previous version had only worked on Windows. The SDK is also released under a
| BSD license - replacing the Apache license - to emphasize its open source
| credentials and to gain broad appeal.
|
| [...]
|
| The Linux Mobile Foundation (LiMo), meanwhile, this week said that it is on
| track to release version one of its Linux-based mobile platform in March.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/02/08/linux_versus_iphone/

Google's Secret Weapon

,----[ Quote ]
| "[Google is] an example of a company that literally couldn't have existed in
| the same form pre-Linux or pre-open source," says Jim Zemlin, executive
| director of The Linux Foundation -- the organization that pays Linus Torvalds
| to work on the Linux kernel. "If they had to rely on Microsoft or Sun, not
| only would it have been too expensive, they could not have done the
| modifications necessary to create their services."
|
| The last point is confirmed by Google's Open Source Programs Manager Chris
| DiBona, who joined the company in August 2004 to oversee and coordinate its
| open source activities: "The thing about open source [is], it's kind of like
| it's yours. Considering that Google does an insane amount of software
| development, if we had to have some of the restrictions that heavily
| proprietary would present us, we couldn't develop at the speed that we do."
`----

http://redmondmag.com/features/article.asp?EditorialsID=2395

What Android means for Apple, MS, open source, enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPhone never happened, but Android is a much more significant development
|
| [...]
|
| A better approach, argues Dan Kohn, COO of the Linux Foundation, is to pick
| one set of standards that IT will support for calendaring, email
| applications, VPN and so on, and tell users they can use any mobile phone
| compatible with those standards.
|
| [...]
|
| What Android means for open source and Linux
| Linux already has a major presence on mobile phones, but the entrance of
| Google and the Open Handset Alliance — which has 34 member organisations
| worldwide — adds to the momentum.
|
| "We're a huge believer in diversity of options on mobile phones," Kohn of the
| Linux Foundation says. "Linux is already an important, growing presence
| there. I think having the Google software as an additional open source option
| is only going to accelerate that adoption."
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/D22188C825F8528FCC257394007BE16D

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html

Google-powered mobile phones to make a February debut?

,----[ Quote ]
| First came the fervent and persistent rumours of a Google mobile phone.
|
| Then, just six short weeks ago, the search supremo (and
| just-about-everything-else-online supremo) announced there would not be
| a ‘Google phone' per se, but rather dozens of them from a raft of mobile
| manufacturers, and all built on an open Linux-based mobile phone platform
| named Android.
`----

http://apcmag.com/7726/google_powered_mobile_phones_to_make_a_february_debut

HTC to make first Android handset