[News] GPL Claimed Compatibile, Suitable with as a Hardware Licence

  • Subject: [News] GPL Claimed Compatibile, Suitable with as a Hardware Licence
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 07:19:27 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Best Open Source License For Hardware?

,----[ Quote ]
| ...the GPL license can be used for hardware, but
| they do not list the LPGL, modified BSD, or MIT licenses as suitable for
| non-software.
`----

http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~3/232822919/article.pl

Related:

The Future of Hardware is Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Hardware is the future of technology, and all we need to kick off this
| next great revolution in technology is to have the right tools in the right
| place at the right time.  After that, the sky’s the limit!
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=315

Perens set to tackle open-source hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| On Monday, Perens plans to announce the TAPR Open Hardware
| License, a document written by John Ackerman designed
| specifically to govern hardware designs that can be
| modified and redistrubuted. Perens plans to submit the
| license to the Open Source Initiative for its as an
| open-source license.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6156093.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/2noydh

Richard Stallman Explains Free Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| We need free software to interface with the hardware, and to develop it, we
| need access to the hardware specs. I have often called on companies
| to «publish the specs» because that's the way I envisioned free software
| developers would be able to write free drivers. I do not approve of
| nondisclosure agreements for generally useful technical information. However,
| if signing one enables you to write a free driver, that may justify the evil.
`----

http://understandinglimited.com/2008/01/23/rms-on-free-hardware/

LinuxBIOS ready to go mainstream

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxBIOS is intended to provide a philosophically free replacement
| for proprietary firmware in chipsets.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/11/30/199208&from=rss

Boot Linux Faster With An Open BIOS

| Another interesting approach involves using Linux itself to initialize the
| hardware. The LinuxBIOS takes the approach of loading a small Linux kernel
| directly into the boot ROM. This approach is increasingly practical now that
| boards have 1-2MB of flash ROM onboard, according to Seebach.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/knitter/2007/10/08/boot-linux-faster-with-an-open-bios

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD’s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
| news desktop Linux has had in a long time.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427

Chips and Motherboards that support a Free BIOS - LinuxBIOS

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/supportlinuxbios.html