Re: Boston Public Library Sells Out to the Monopolist, Blocks Mac and Linux Users

Oh, DFS. Believe it or not, I truly mean every word in that statement
and I don't want to tell off the Anti-DRMers. I'm just thrilled that
everyone in the BPL management team agree with me and encouraged me to
spread the word far and wide in the cybersphere.

It's interesting because this one service is causing so many people to
demand things that are not part of our mission. (Our mission is to
bring content to the people of the Commonwealth and the City, not to
redesign the whole publishing industry.) I've had some good initial
contacts with the Defective By Design folks and hope to make some
headway that will benefit us both. We'd *love* to offer DRM-free
downloads, but they simply aren't available for the material that
patrons want. Can anyone tell me where I can legally obtain a download
of Stephen King's latest audio book without DRM? And one that can be
*loaned* to people? See what I mean?

But I'm very grateful for the DBD group for bringing awareness to the
issue. I think they are partially responsible for the recent changes
in retail music downloads and I'm hoping this will carry over into the
library world.

Scot Colford
Applications Manager
Boston Public Library