[News] GNU/Linux on Highly Professional Film Production Desktops

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux on Highly Professional Film Production Desktops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:33:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux Powers The Spiderwick Chronicles

,----[ Quote ]
| A Linux-based production pipeline is a perfect choice for a major motion
| picture like The Spiderwick Chronicles, with its many goblins and magical
| creatures. Hollywood has been the realm of Linux since 1997, when the movie
| Titanic proved that Linux can do big computer graphics jobs like rendering a
| sinking ocean liner. With an industry tradition of using UNIX-based operating
| systems for high-computation jobs, and due to the better, faster, cheaper
| nature of Linux, every major effects or animation movie today is produced
| using Linux. Visual effects facilities ILM and Tippett Studio each created
| visual effects for Spiderwick. Having multiple effects houses work on the
| same movie became common after 2003 when The Matrix Reloaded used a dozen
| effects houses.

Yesterday (Linux on NASA's PCs):

Fedora on the Final Frontier

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been a long standing rumor regarding NASA running Fedora which all
| of us in the Fedora community have been always intrigued by. Is it true? What
| are they doing with it there? Why don't they run RHEL. Fortunately enough, a
| couple of weeks ago, I got to experience NASA behind the scenes, first hand,
| and hang out with the coolest members of the Fedora community, and find out
| the answer to these questions and lots more.

Open source on the big screen: Matt Ebb tells tales of Elephants Dream

,----[ Quote ]
| Lead artist from Elephants Dream speaks about what it is like to make your
| own open movie using open source tools and the power of the community.

fluffy puffy peach posters

,----[ Quote ]
| well here i am again, and the characters are finally completed! as a peachy
| xmas holiday present we decided to publish some posters / wallpapers to
| decorate your desktop!

Peach Open Movie

,----[ Quote ]
| As a follow-up to the successful project Orange's "Elephants Dream",
| the Blender Foundation will initiate another open movie project.
| Again a couple of the best 3D artists and developers in the Blender
| community will be invited to come together to work in Amsterdam on
| completing a short 3D animation movie.

Can open source methodology make a movie?

,----[ Quote ]
| We all know that open source is being used to help make movies. Linux
| and open source software have been used in rendering farms for major
| pictures like Shrek, Lord of the Rings, and many others. Earlier
| this year the Blender project released Elephants Dream, the first
| movie made entirely with open source graphics software. But can
| the open source methodology be used to create a movie? The folks
| behind The Digital Tipping Point (DTP) are betting it can.

Hollywood, Linux, and CinePaint at FOSDEM 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| At first, studios had no choice but to develop Linux applications in house.
| The film industry has millions of lines of Linux code, both desktop
| applications and server pipelines. Studio Linux programmers write code in
| C++, Python, Perl, and Java. What does all this secret proprietary Linux code
| do? And, why do they do parallel programming with grid computing? How does
| the film industry use renderfarms with thousands of CPUs?

DreamWorks wins an award for its innovative use of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Behind that effort sits Ed Leonard, chief technology officer at DreamWorks,
| who has been recognized for his work with an Annie Award for "promoting the
| Linux open system for animation in animation studios and gaming software
| development."

Linux Goes Hollywood With New Terra Soft Film Rendering Tool

,----[ Quote ]
| Y-Film is a product formed from two separate applications. The first is a
| cluster construction suite supported by Terra Soft's Y-HPC platform. The
| second is the Artist Productivity and Asset Management Tools developed by
| Scott Frankel, president and VFX supervisor at Circle-S Studios and the lead
| developer of Y-Film. The tool set runs on x86 Linux, Power Linux and Mac OS
| X.

Linux in Hollywood

Studios Using Linux

,----[ Quote ]