[News] Op-ed: Intel and Microsoft Slowly Become Dinosaurs, Liaise Against 'Customers'

  • Subject: [News] Op-ed: Intel and Microsoft Slowly Become Dinosaurs, Liaise Against 'Customers'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:27:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
What I don't understand about Microsoft, Intel, and everything

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and Intel--the world's biggest one-hit-wonder--will both go the way
| of the dinosaur if they don't realize that it's time to change. They need to
| turn the corner to a new business model while they've still got some of those
| fat monopoly profits coming in. And I don't mean simply diversifying as
| they've been trying to do for years; that won't cut it.
|
| Why do you think Microsoft's stock has essentially flatlined for eight years?
| Ditto for Intel. Investors are wondering what comes next after the whole PC
| thing has run its course. Good question. Ballmer and Otellini definitely have
| some 'splainin' to do.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13555_1-9881579-34.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft e-mails reveal Intel pressure over Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| But perhaps the most surprised executive inside Microsoft at the move was
| Allchin, the head of the Vista development team.
|
| "We really botched this," he wrote in a thread responded to Poole's
| e-mail. "I was not involved in the decision making process and I will support
| it because I trust you thinking behind the logic. BUT, you have to do a
| better job with customers that what was shown here. This was especially true
| because you put me out on a limb making a commitment. This is not ok."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9882376-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Long article. It's like watching a gang of scum. Just like the RIAA.

Quote for the day:

"(..) current PC technology is totally sufficient for most office tasks and
consumers desires and (..) any performance bottleneck is not in today’s PC’s
but in today’s COM pipes. This in itself might slow down replacement cycles
and life time shortening until we find true MIPS eating applications - a
priority not only Intel should subscribe to."
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

        --Joachim Kempin
          senior vice president for OEM sales, Microsoft

[That's forced 'upgrades' for you.]

Earlier:

Vista: How cozy were Microsoft and Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
| The notion of Microsoft making the decision specifically to help Intel's
| quarterly results is drawing some attention in the industry today. Among
| other things, securities laws regulate selective financial disclosures.
|
| "We don't know who John Kalkman is," said Intel spokesman Chuck Mulloy this
| afternooon. "We do know he's not qualified to know anything about internal
| Intel financials or forecasts related to chipsets, motherboards or any other
| products." Mulloy said Kalkman "would have no visibility into our financial
| needs in any given quarter."
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/132989.asp?source=rss

Microsoft's court testimony: people want PCs, not operating systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's read that again:
|
|     ...(Customers) are in the store buying a PC, not an OS.
|
| I wonder if Mr. Goldberg appreciates both the truth and the difficulty
| inherent in his comment that consumers are looking for a PC, not an OS. To
| me, he could not more clearly state, "Windows is a commodity. The end of
| (our) world is near."
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9881568-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Yesterday:

Microsoft knew Vista was unready – report

,----[ Quote ]
| We helped Intel make its figures. Sheesh
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft suit John Kalkman blamed Intel to help "it make its quarterly
| earnings" by encouraging use of 915 chipsets which have integrated graphics.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/28/microsoft-knew-vista-unready

Full text: Microsoft execs on Vista problems

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/132891.asp?source=rssw

Related:

Microsoft, Intel and Dell: The Tech Love Triangle

,----[ Quote ]
| It is becoming well known that Microsoft have achieved their current market
| share status by making major computer manufacturers sign licensing deals, so
| as to distribute a copy of Windows with every computer sold. What many people
| don't realise, is how difficult it is to get a computer from the
| manufacturers without Windows.
|
| [...]
|
| This is first-hand experience of the power of Microsoft's monopolistic
| practices, and it really does annoy me. It seems not so long ago that I
| praised Dell for their support, but along with Microsoft, they have now lost
| a customer entirely.
|
| Needless to say, we are now looking to buy a system from a local shop with no
| OS.
`----

http://blog.raisingwaves.com/index.php?entry=entry071120-003039

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

Africa's digital poster child [Intel's illegal dumping]

,----[ Quote ]
| [Classmates in Nigeria]
|
| The renovation has been paid for by the government and Intel, with the chip
| firm covering the majority of the costs of the technology.
`----               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why the XO Laptop is better than the Classmate

,----[ Quote ]
| There's been some awful FUD flying around the OLPC world in the last few
| days, with misquotes, misinformation, and flat out lies being propagated left
| and right. Even Engadget, one of the better geektech blogs out there, got it
| completely wrong regarding OLPC CTO Mary Lou Jepsen's departure from the
| project.
|
| [...]
|
| Classmate is more expensive, consumes 10 times the power, has 1/3 the wifi
|              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| range, and can't be used outside. Also, the Classmate doesn't use neighboring
| laptops to extend the reach of the internet via hopping (mesh-networking)
| like the XO does. So not only is the XO cheaper than the Classmate, the XO
| requires less infrastructre expenditure for electricity and for internet
| access.
`----

http://planet-geek.com/archives/004331.html

Intel-powered XO is too expensive and consumes too much power

,----[ Quote ]
| 2 days before Intel CEO Paul Otellini would unveil the Classmate 2 or the
| Intel-powered XO at the CES, Intel announced that they are quitting the OLPC
| board.
|
| Intel claims that they are quitting because of Nicholas Negroponte wanting
| them to stop the promotion of the Classmate/Eee to education in third world
| countries, but I think that the real reason is that Intel does not have a
| good enough processor for the OLPC project to use as an alternative to the
| AMD Geode LX-700. Intel has not been able to develop a processor to match the
| price, power consumption and performance requirements of the OLPC project.
| Paul Otellini could have looked like a fool at the CES if he had to unveil an
| Intel powered XO that was performing worse in terms of price and power
| consumption compared to the AMD powered one.
`----

http://charbax.com/2008/01/04/intel-diamondville-and-menlow-processors-not-low-costpower-enough/

Local OEMs boycott Microsoft, Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| The local Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) in the country may have
| commenced boycotting of placing orders on the Operating System (OS)
| dominantly supplied by the software giant, Microsoft Corporation and computer
| processor manufacturer, Intel Corporation offices in the country.
`----

http://itrealms.blogspot.com/2007/11/local-oems-boycott-microsoft-intel.html

OLPC Tells Nigerian Court: We Don't Use LANCOR's Keyboard

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's what OLPC says was hidden from the court:
|
|     * LANCOR has no valid patent
|     * OLPC hasn't sold any XO laptops in Nigeria
|     * it's a non-profit
|     * the beta XO laptops tested in Nigeria were not for sale and were not
|     given away
|     * OLPC never signed a EULA
|     * OLPC never reverse engineered anything
|     * its keyboards that will be distributed use all public domain techniques
|     and not LANCOR's Konyin keyboard

| That [Linux] software effort does not have the support of Mr. Otellini, who
| is concerned about incurring Microsoft's wrath, the executive said.
| The two companies have a long history of tension over who controls
| the hardware and software direction of the "Wintel standard." Intel
| has said it is supporting both operating systems.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/technology/16chip.html?ex=1177560000&en=2ef52cee6b1fb0e3&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

Lessons from Africa: How to Kill Your Own FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| So, even as Microsoft claims superior quality over Linux, they act as if they
| don't even buy their own FUD. If they really believed that Windows was
| superior to Linux, they wouldn't have to bribe people with “marketing help”
| to get them to choose Windows.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-09-030-26-OP-MD-MS

Linux wins Nigerian school desktops back from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are sticking with that platform," said the official, who would not give
| his name.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124
http://tinyurl.com/27ycq9

[Mandriva CEO:] An open letter to Steve Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! I’m impressed, Steve! What have you done for these guys to change their
| mind like this? It’s pretty clear to me, and it will be clear to everyone.
| How do you call what you just did Steve, in the place where you live? In my
| place, they give it various names, I’m sure you know them.
|
| Hey Steve, how do you feel looking at yourself in the mirror in the morning?
|
| Of course, I will keep fighting this one and the next one, and the next one.
| You have the money, the power, and maybe we have a different sense of ethics
| you and I, but I believe that hard work, good technology and ethics can win
| too.
`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/an-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer/

LANCOR's Adé Oyegbola Answers Groklaw's Questions About OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| PJ: Thank you for responding. I think you misunderstand then one thing about
| OLPC. OLPC is a recognized charity under the law. Selling a laptop for cost
| does not make them commercial, Ade.
|
| Many of my readers have been asking me, and I hope you do not feel insulted
| if I ask on their behalf, but is there any connection or have you had any
| contact with Microsoft or Intel?

OLPC's Nigerian patent suit being waged by a man convicted of bank fraud

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9827611-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

,----[ Quote ]
| [PJ: I thought you might like to see the keyboard that LANCOR's thinks is
| being infringed by the OLPC. Here's the page for the entire world. Ah!
| Innovation. It certainly is an amazing technical advance to have 4 shift keys
| so you can do accent marks. What genius could ever think of a keyboard that
| can do an accent aigu? Genius, I say. Innovative genius. Nothing obvious
| here. So you can certainly understand why LANCOR claims it must safeguard
| with their lives the keyboard driver source code. For contrast, here is the
| OLPC's Nigerian keyboard. So different I start to wonder if this was about
| advertising a keyboard.]
|
| [...]
|
| ...Dr Aja-Nwachuku said he was now assessing OLPC alongside other schemes
| from Microsoft and Intel.
|
| [If you don't want a laptop from OLPC, because you feel you need schools,
| uniforms and chairs first -- not that any of that makes sense since the kids
| can sit outside under a tree and study with OLPC or at home -- why would he
| be considering the Classmate from Intel or a "scheme" from Microsoft? You
| tell me.] -
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php

Poor Kids' Laptop Cranks Up

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates earlier this year told the Microsoft
| Government Leaders Forum, "Geez, get a decent computer where you can
| actually read the text and you?re not sitting there cranking the thing
| while you're trying to type" (see Bill Gates Mocks $100 Laptop).
`----

http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=17302

One Laptop Per Child - Production Delays Caused By Microsoft, Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
| I sincerely hope that no matter what the people who are running the
| OLPC project decide, that their project will continue and not get
| bogged down in a play of corporate greed and ambitions.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/28/one-laptop-per-child-production-delays-caused-by-microsoft-intel/

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]