[News] Users Poll Results Announced, Another Good Look at KDE 4 Applications

  • Subject: [News] Users Poll Results Announced, Another Good Look at KDE 4 Applications
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:44:49 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ubuntu tops desktop, server Linux enthusiast poll

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu is the favourite distribution of Linux for use on both desktops and
| servers, according to a poll of Australian open source enthusiasts.
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa/Ubuntu-tops-desktop-server-Linux-enthusiast-poll/0,339028227,339285904,00.htm

They forgot Debian!?!?

KDE 4 Tour: digiKam 0.10

,----[ Quote ]
| digiKam is a fantastic KDE application used to sort, arrange and manipulate
| digital photographs. It features: fetching pictures from a camera,
| cataloguing and complex editing. It also enables you to add comments to
| photos, tag them and rate your collection.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-4-tour-digikam-010/

Related:

KDE 3.5.9 Release Announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| The KDE Community today announced the immediate availability of KDE 3.5.9, a
| maintenance release for the latest generation of the most advanced and
| powerful free desktop for GNU/Linux and other UNIXes. The most important
| changes have been made to the KDE-PIM applications, including the KMail email
| client, KOrganizer, a planning application and other components.
`----

http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-3.5.9.php

KDE Sets Roadmap for Development

,----[ Quote ]
| Seigo also said the KDE team will not leave its 3.5 users in the lurch,
| delivering an upgrade to that release, known as KDE 3.5.9, in February.
|
| "We haven't forgotten about [KDE] 3.5, because we have a lot of users with
| large installations and they don't change their installations very often," he
| said. "[KDE 3.5.9] will come with an enterprise version of Kontact," the KDE
| PIM (personal information manager).
|
| The KDE team will continue to support KDE 3.5 because the move to KDE 4.0 is
| a big jump for organizations that prefer to migrate slowly, KDE officials
| said. KDE 4.1 is expected to ship in July.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/KDE-Sets-Roadmap-for-Future-Development/

KDE goes cross-platform with Windows, Mac OS X support

,----[ Quote ]
| The open-source KDE desktop environment is making the jump across platforms
| with broad support for Windows and Mac OS X. The core KDE desktop programs,
| the KOffice suite, and the Amarok music player are actively being ported.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080123-kde-goes-cross-platform-with-windows-mac-os-x-support.html

Goodbye Vista, KDE 4.0 Has Arrived!

,----[ Quote ]
| There are only few people who know that if you look out of your 'Windows',
| the world is much more vivid and beautiful. Apple is known for its good
| looks, but it’s excessively expensive, while Vista is a big disappointment
| (check Tech Cold War 2007!). Now, there is GNU/Linux which, in fact, is free
| and offers much more options and freedom than Windows or Mac. One of the most
| popular desktop environments on GNU/Linux platform has come out in a new
| flavour - KDE 4.0.
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/24071/news.htm

KDE 4 Brings Improvements Galore to the Linux Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The next generation of KDE, the popular Linux desktop environment, has
| arrived. KDE 4.0 features a completely re-written core with new multimedia
| libraries, better hardware abstraction and
| desktop eye candy that puts Windows Vista to shame.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/01/kde-4-brings-im.html

KDE 4.1 Release Schedule, Coming In July

,----[ Quote ]
| Here is the KDE 4 release schedule for the next couple of months, as shared
| this morning at the KDE 4.0 release event keynote by Aaron Seigo. KDE 4.0.1
| will be released later this month with minor maintenance releases coming
| every month. KDE 4.1 is planned for release this July with much polishing
| since KDE 4.0.0.
|
| January - KDE 4.0.1
| February - KDE 4.0.2
| March - KDE 4.0.3