[News] Office Suites Find Duality Online, OpenOffice.org's Bite of Microsoft's Life-critical Asset

  • Subject: [News] Office Suites Find Duality Online, OpenOffice.org's Bite of Microsoft's Life-critical Asset
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:31:22 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Office Suite Goes Online… (Your Online Alternatives To Microsoft Office)

,----[ Quote ]
| While Microsoft Office is still the market leader in the office productivity
| arena, it is definitely not the best choice for users. As more and more
| office suites are getting onto the Web, providing free access, usage and
| features comparable (or even better) to Microsoft Office, it makes one wonder
| whether it’s worth spending $500 to get the new version of Microsoft Office.
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/office-suite-goes-online/2008/02/25

Many people use both -- for now. That'll change.

Open Source Guide: Take A Bite Out Of Microsoft's Cash Cow

,----[ Quote ]
| Is there life after Microsoft Office? Today, for the first time in many
| years, the answer is yes, thanks to OpenOffice.org. Here's a good first step
| to determine whether this outstanding open-source software suite can help
| your small business put Microsoft's favorite cash cow out to pasture, once
| and for all.
|
| Solveig Haugland is an author, instructor, and consultant who, as she writes
| in her blog, "loves to show people how to make OpenOffice.org do what they
| need it to." Haugland recently created a guide covering the migration process
| from Microsoft Office to OpenOffice.org: managing templates and clip art,
| shortcuts, software configuration, user interface tweaks, and much more. The
| guide is available as a free download in PDF format; according to Haugland,
| businesses are welcome to reproduce and distribute the guide (which uses a
| Creative Commons license) for their own use, as long as they identify her as
| the author and do not attempt to charge money for it.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2008/02/open_source_gui.html

Related and recent:

Open Source Apps for Small Biz: Desktop to Backup

,----[ Quotr ]
| But critics say that
| Office has become so bloated over the years that 80 percent of customers use
| only 20 percent of its features.
|
| Compare the standard package for Office 2007, which retails for $399, to
| OpenOffice.org, an open-source office suite, which is free. The suite
| includes a word processor, equation editor, visual database, presentation
| authoring and drawing application.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/entdev/article.php/3729946

Switching Office Suites from Microsoft Office to OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| You have your own reasons: price, or principles, or you’re setting up a nice
| cheap Linux laptop for your daughter to use at school. Here are a couple
| things I like to talk about.
|
| Spend your money on something important
|
| I realize that since I’m targeting this article at individuals, that the
| upgrade or full price of Microsoft Office might not make or break you. But if
| it’s you and your family; your small business; your volunteer organization
| that feeds homeless families…now you even more seriously need to look at the
| right way to spend your money. Microsoft Office is a habit, and many people
| don’t even think about whether they need it. Here’s your opportunity to rank
| it in comparison to other things you could spend $100 or $500 on, multiplied
| by the number of licenses.
`----

http://www.fanaticattack.com/2008/switching-office-suites-from-microsoft-office-to-openofficeorg.html

Impressive Eye Candy: 3D OpenGL Transitions

,----[ Quote ]
| PowerPoint's old push-down transition has done its 15 years of service, and
| it's time for it to retire. Do the sleepy faces in your meetings agree?
| OpenOffice.org Impress 2.4 has the answer in the form ten 3D OpenGL-rendered
| transitions:
|
|     * Flipping tiles
|     * Outside turning cube
|     * Revolving circles
|     * Turning helix
|     * Inside turning cube
|     * Fall
|     * Turn around
|     * Iris
|     * Turn down
|     * Rochade
`----

http://www.oooninja.com/2008/02/eye-candy-3d-opengl-transitions-impress.html

German penal institutions looking into OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like that OpenOffice.org is also being used in areas where many of
| us don't expect it, or wouldn't research for. I have reports that some German
| penal institutions are looking into OpenOffice.org for their daily office
| work.
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/2008/02/german-penal-institutions-looking-into.html

Just a coincidence?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Davide Dozza, Chairman of Associazione PLIO: "The numbers are
| exactly the same. If it's just a coincidence, it's a very strange one.
| Downloads of the Italian version of OpenOffice.org were 800.000 in 2006 and
| 1.800.000 in 2007: the difference is exactly in the million of Italians
| that - according to Microsoft - have downloaded the trial version of Office
| 2007. We think that these users have decided to switch to OpenOffice.org as
| soon as they have realized that the effort to get used to the new ribbon
| interface is higher than the effort to migrate to the open source suite. In
| 2007, the majority of information requests has been about the compatibility
| with Windows Vista, and the trend stays unchanged in 2008".
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/2008/01/just-coincidence.html

[German] Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----