Re: [News] EntirelyOpen-source Graphics Cards Coming Soon

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Troy Kirkland
<kirk@xxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:06:46 -0500
<47c2cdf4$0$26078$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> Project VGA Hopes To Ship Next Month
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Michael Meeuwisse of Project VGA, which spawned from the Open Graphics
>> | Project for creating a truly open-source graphics card, announced today
>> at
>> | FOSDEM 2008 that next month he hopes to ship the first of his prototype
>> | graphics cards. However, before you get your hopes up, this is a very
>> low-end
>> | graphics card. The current Project VGA board has 16MB of SD RAM, Xilinx
>> | Spartan 3 s400 FPGA under 100MHz, and uses the PCI bus.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjM1NQ
>>

> Is it April 1st already? Or is this some sort of time warp
> to the early 1990's?
>
> "Project VGA" - A 100Mhz PCI card with 16-megs of memory.
>
> I guess that NVidia should discontinue the GeForce 8800
> right now since it's all but obsolete!

NVidia's GeForce 9600 GT series appears to be state of the art.
Drivers for older cards therefore should be absolutely frozen,
with no updates at all available after the 9600 GT comes out.

Spot The Flaw.

> It only has a stream processor clock of 1.5GHz, and a
> memory clock of 1080MHz (effectively 2160MHz since it
> uses GDDR3 memory) and 768 Megs of memory.

ITYM 768*k* of RAM.  The specifications suggest
16 MB SDRAM anyway.  Oddly, the parts list suggests
256 MB (2 128MB 167MHz units).

> Why is it that linux based consumer products like the Everex Cloudbook and
> this joke video card are all low end useless crap?

I suppose you'd prefer that we in the Linux community
be at the mercy of the commercial card developers, an
ultra-competitive market with razor-thin margins and little
or no time to develop drivers for "alternative operating
systems", which Linux clearly is (unless I miss my guess,
it's only mainstream for the server market -- a market
that needs no video cards at all, and could get by without
even a serial adapter, though there would be difficulties
in running diagnostics if the NIC malfunctions thereon).

Of course, that would be more profitable for the commercial
card developers.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #12398234:
void f(char *p) {char *q = strdup(p); strcpy(p,q);}