[News] Big Linux Computing at Georgia State, IBM Leads in UNIX

  • Subject: [News] Big Linux Computing at Georgia State, IBM Leads in UNIX
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 04:34:47 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Georgia State Adds New IBM Supercomputer to Keep Pace With Demand

,----[ Quote ]
| "We're experiencing increasing demand for supercomputer resources," said Art
| Vandenberg, director of the university's supercomputing center. "Our strategy
| is to build a center that supports a wide variety of disciplines. So, we're
| adding the Cluster 1350 to support research that requires commodity level,
| Linux computing."
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/080222/0365610.html

Say-for-pay shillnalyst Gartner has this one also:

Report: IBM Fastest Growing UNIX Vendor, Number One Server Vendor Worldwide in
2007

,----[ Quote ]
| Gartner reported today that IBM (NYSE:IBM - News) continues to hold the
| number one position in worldwide server revenue. IBM captured 34.2 percent
| revenue share in the fourth quarter of 2007, and 31.1 percent revenue share
| for the full year of 2007.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/080222/0365766.html

HP closes in on IBM in server revenues -Gartner

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's server sales grew one percent to $17 billion last year, giving it a
| market share of 31.1 percent, down from 32 percent in 2006, while HP
| increased market share to 28.3 percent, thanks to sales growth of 9 percent.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKL2240680920080222?rpc=44

Related:

Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers

,----[ Quote ]
| Other operating systems, such as AIX (4.8%), Solaris (0.4%) and Mac OS X
| (0.4%) make the list, but Linux is alone at the top, where it is used in 459
| systems or 91.8% of the top supercomputer systems.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/11/15/linux-in-more-than-90-of-top-supercomputers/
http://tinyurl.com/2rponk

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03096.pdf

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

,----[ Quote ]
| Just days after banning Enderle from discussing Microsoft because
| he has Microsoft as a client, the Times quoted Gartner analyst
| Michael Silver and AMR Research analyst Jim Murphy in a story
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| about Microsoft's Windows and Office software.
|
| If the paper would prefer not to quote an analyst who has
| experience with a client, it did a poor job. Silver is Gartner's
|                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| vice president in charge of client computing. Microsoft happens to
|                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| do lots of business with Gartner and also happens to have a
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| client-software monopoly. We're guessing that Silver knows
| Microsoft's products well and has direct involvement with the
| company.
|
| And, sure enough, he appears a number of times on Microsoft's
| own site and thousands of times in stories about Microsoft.
|
| Jim Murphy - wait for it - covers Microsoft too and is even more
| prolific than Silver.
|
| [...]
|
| Part of the problem stems from the reticence of companies such as
| IDC and Gartner to reveal their clients. That should make everyone
| nervous, but it doesn't. So called objective technology publications
| keep publishing material bought by vendors without telling you this.
| They're also too lazy or scared to ignore the likes of Gartner and
| IDC until the firms change their disclosure rules.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

Buy Vista or die

,----[ Quote ]