[News] [Rival] New Security Menaces in Microsoft Internet Explorer

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] New Security Menaces in Microsoft Internet Explorer
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 06:05:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Hackers Exploiting Facebook, MySpace Plug-ins

,----[ Quote ]
| If you use Internet Explorer (versions 6 or 7) to browse the Web, listen up:
| Criminals are starting to exploit security holes in several widely installed
| IE plug-ins to plant invasive software when users are coerced or tricked into
| visiting one of several Web sites.
`----

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/02/hackers_exploiting_facebook_my.html

Recent:

Be prepared: ActiveX attacks will persist

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent string of high-profile ActiveX vulnerabilities caused the U.S.
| Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) to advise users to disable the
| ubiquitous Microsoft browser plug-in technology altogether.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/02/19/08NF-activex-horror_1.html

ActiveX Controls Out of Control

,----[ Quote ]
| The federal agency's warning to disable all Internet Explorer ActiveX
| controls might as well be recommendation to use Firefox—or Opera or Safari.
| Hey, AOL, are you sure about pulling the plug on Netscape?
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/security/activex_controls_out_of_control.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Related:

Microsoft ruling may not bolster Europe's new case, warns lawyer

,----[ Quote ]
| The new investigation into Microsoft will look into whether it is legal for a
| company with its market dominance to include web browser Internet Explorer
| with its Windows operating system. It will also look at whether the operating
| system allows for enough interoperability with other companies' software.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/21/eu_microsoft_analysis/

EU round two: Commission probing Microsoft conduct on new issues

,----[ Quote ]
| ...I doubt Microsoft's legal team is surprised by this. After the September
| ruling on the first EC case, I asked Microsoft General Counsel Brad Smith
| whether any additional features of Windows could fall under the same scrutiny
| that Windows Media Player received. Smith said:
|
| "I think that it's fair to say that features that the commission regards as
| being present in competing applications may be subject to the kind of
| scrutiny the media player was put under. We basically went through that kind
| of process already for Windows Vista. For example, there was a lot of
| scrutiny on the desktop search feature, on the encryption feature, on the
| various security features in general, on the new file format for portable
| documents and that's probably a fairly indicative list of the kinds of
| features that one would predict they'd focus on in the future..."
`----

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/techtracks/2008/01/eu_round_two_commission_probing_microsoft_conduct.html

Interview with ECIS's Thomas Vinje Regarding Opera's Complaint

,----[ Quote ]