[News] AMD Unveils Its Latest Open-Source Drivers, Plans

  • Subject: [News] AMD Unveils Its Latest Open-Source Drivers, Plans
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 05:54:45 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
ATI/AMD's Open-Source Plans

,----[ Quote ]
| Starting off the X.Org talks at FOSDEM 2008 was AMD's John Bridgman, who has
| been leading the AMD GPG open-source efforts. John had talked briefly about
| the history of their open-source efforts for the R500+ series and the
| evolution of AMD GPU hardware. Among the interesting comments made were that
| TexturedVideo/X-Video support for the R500/600 may be coming quite soon, DRM
| and Mesa work forthcoming, open-source multi-GPU multi-GPU support is on the
| road-map, and they will be re-releasing R200 programming documents. The RV620
| and RV635 documentation is expected in the near future.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fosdem_08_bridgman&num=1

What Will AMD Open Up Next?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjM0OQ

RadeonHD Update @ FOSDEM 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Following John Bridgman's talk at FOSDEM, Egbert Eich, who is one of the
| Novell developers working on the RadeonHD driver, had talked about the status
| of the RadeonHD driver.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjM1MA

Yesterday:

AMD Releases 3D Programming Documentation

,----[ Quote ]
| The 3D programming documentation today is 300 pages and is made up of a
| programming guide and register specifications. Among the areas covered in
| this 3D guide are the command processor, vertex shaders, fragment shaders,
| Hyper-Z, and the various 3D registers. Editor's Note: In the hours leading up
| to this public documentation drop, we've been told that tcore will now not be
| available for immediate download with this 3D programming documentation. We
| would expect tcore to be available very soon, if it's not already available
| for you from the download server.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_tcore_release&num=1

Related:

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD’s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
| news desktop Linux has had in a long time.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427

AMD Launches Open GPU Website

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD has today launched their new open GPU documentation website for
| register-level documents covering their ATI Radeon products. In addition,
| they are now providing an email address for any open-source developers who
| may have questions concerning these documents.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjMyOQ

Future AMD GPUs To Be More Open-Source Friendly?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=955&num=1