Re: [Roy Schestowitz-like News]Sony illegaly bribes Toshiba to drop HD-DVD

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:56:00 -0500, Jon Nesbit wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:45:39 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch scribbled down:
>
>> "Was Toshiba paid-off to concede the HD battle? There are some signs that
>> may point to this as a direct result of the ended format war. Reuters has
>> reported that Sony has agreed to sell it's Cell and RSX fabrication plants
>> in Japan to Toshiba. The WSJ is reporting that is is a joint venture in the
>> form of 60% Toshiba,%20 Sony and %20 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc."
>>
>> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/23/139228
>>
>> I bet you won't see Roy reporting the "misdeeds" of Sony on this one...
>
> What makes you think this was illegal?

Actually, I don't.  I was being sarcastic, and posting as if I were Roy to
illustrate the point.

> From what I recall (could be wrong)
> is that Toshiba pledged about $100 million to various studios to release
> movies in it's HD-DVD format. And Sony did the same. This stuff happens.

I know, but $400 Million is a pretty big carrot.

> If Sony offers to sell some fab plants and Toshiba agrees to buy them and
> this is all OK'd by lawyers and reported in the press then where's this
> illegal doing?

Again, i don't really believe so.  However, if it were Microsoft doing
this, Roy would be on it like a hot potato calling it illegal, fraudulent,
corrupt, or any number of other things.

On the other hand, Toshiba's partners could well sue Toshiba for bad faith,
or breach of contract or others for it.