Re: [News] Old Laptops Become GNU/Linux Candidates

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 04:28:32 +0000, Roy Schestowitz scribbled down:

> Give an Old Laptop New Life with Cheap (or Free) Projects
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Like a famed race horse or a classic book, you don't just throw away a laptop
> | because it's banged up a little. Even if it seems outdated and underpowered,
> | most any laptop is still small, quiet, and relatively low on power
> | consumption, making it a seriously valuable spare to keep handy even
> | without a working screen. With some free software, a little know-how
> | and some creative thinking about your home network, nearly any old
> | laptop can find its second wind, and today I'll run through some of
> | the best ways to get it there.
> `----
>
> http://lifehacker.com/359389/give-an-old-laptop-new-life-with-cheap-or-free-projects

I would prefer to see these sorts of programs over things like the OLPC
and the Intel classmate. There are millions of laptops that are abandoned
every year because the owner things they are obsolete. Perhaps they are
obsolete to run XP and certainly too old for Vista. But there's no reason
these laptops couldn't be recycled with Linux and given to school
children. They are more than capable for students and probably most adults.

<snip>

--
 Ubuntu Linux
 13:03:50 up 5 days, 15:31,  3 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.08, 0.08

Q:	Why is Christmas just like a day at the office?
A:	You do all of the work and the fat guy in the suit
	gets all the credit.