[News] New and Very Happy GNU/Linux Users on the Eee PC

  • Subject: [News] New and Very Happy GNU/Linux Users on the Eee PC
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:02:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Tiny laptop does basics

,----[ Quote ]
| After spending a few weeks with the Eee, I can see why people are so excited
| about this machine.

Asus Eee is a Robot of Love

,----[ Quote> ]
| I’ve been on the lookout for a small, portable machine with enough power to
| read PDF files, make notes, write text, do some coding perhaps and surf the
| net - preferably achieving all this without the feeling as if I were slowly
| torturing myself to death with some medieval high-tech device.

Asus expands Eee distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| Possibly reflecting increased supply of its popular subnotebook, Asus has
| announced the Eee PC will be available through mass-market outlets.

Review: Eee laptop PC shreds the rules

,----[ Quote ]
| Unencumbered by Windows, the Eee boots up so quickly I didn't bother counting
| the seconds. Its Wi-Fi chip links with the Web in a flash, and its webcam — a
| feature missing from many laptops triple the price — turns it into a video
| messaging device with the help of eBay Inc.'s Skype, which comes pre-loaded.
| There are USB ports for peripherals, a port to connect to a monitor, and —
| most essential — a flash memory slot to expand its meager storage. Battery
| life is advertised at 3.5 hours.

Little Linux Laptops: Build It and People Will Come

,----[ Quote ]
| Verdict
| You can hardly go wrong in getting a notebook computer for less than $400.
| Any one of these units represents a highly compact and usable computer for a
| very reasonable price. The prevailing wisdom in computing has always been ‘Go
| smaller, pay more’, but these latest Linux laptops are battling that
| philosophy nicely. But then Linux has always gone against the wind.

Prototype 8.9" Asus EeePC Spotted at CES

,----[ Quote ]
| Not a full day after news comes from Asus that they’ve got some larger screen
| EeePCs in works do pics of one show up online. jkkmobile  hits us up with
| some pictures of this new model.

Asus Says Eee PC is Most Successful Product Ever

,----[ Quote ]
| An interesting piece of news from Asus’s press conference is that the Eee PC
| is their “most successful product ever,” according to Engadget. This is
| potentially huge news for Linux on two levels.

Asustek Eee PC shipments beat expectations

,----[ Quote ]
| Asustek has shipped almost 350,000 units of the Eee PC in the quarter, ahead
| of the 300,000 estimated, according to Taiwan's DigiTimes.

2007's most important IT lesson is spelled with an Eee

,----[ Qote ]
| The Eee shows too just how out of date the 'is Linux ready for the desktop?'
| argument is. Yes it is. Anyone can pick up an Eee with its standard Linux
| distro - or with a number of freely available alternatives - and just use it.
| That alone revitalises the 'is this paid-for operating system value for
| money?' question.

Asustek ups Eee PC sales f'cast by two-thirds

,----[ Quote ]
| Asustek had said that it hoped to become the world's fifth-largest laptop PC
| vendor by 2010.

Asus Eee PC as 'hard to get your hands on as a Wii'

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus' elfin Eee PC is coming to Japan and it's going to get 16GB of
| solid-state storage, it has been claimed. Meanwhile, in the UK availability
| has reached Wii-like limits, according to insiders.

Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and dual-core
| processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less?
| [...]
| The mass move to mobile computing is a destabilizing force and harbinger of
| change. Microsoft's position would be better if Vista didn't demand so much
| when the market wants so little.

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
| time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
| tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
| in users' hands.
| [...]
| Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
| point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
| XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
| Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
| no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
| of the desktop market pie.

I Love Linux

,----[ Quote ]