[News] Shuttleworth Concerned About Patent Trolls (USPTO Loopholes), Not Microsoft

  • Subject: [News] Shuttleworth Concerned About Patent Trolls (USPTO Loopholes), Not Microsoft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 09:18:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mark Shuttleworth's Stance on Mono Inside Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark Shuttleworth tells us that his main concern is not Microsoft and Mono,
| but rather it's the patent trolls
`----

http://boycottnovell.com/2008/02/22/mark-shuttleworth-on-patents/

A lot of good links on this latest announcement he refers to here:

links for 2008-02-21

,----[ Quote ]
| “The European Commission has expressed doubt regarding Microsoft’s
| announcement Thursday claiming a move toward greater interoperability.”
|
| [...]
|
| “Microsoft made major concessions Thursday that should make it easier for
| open-source software to dovetail with or even replace Microsoft products, but
| a major caveat means the company’s legal threats remain alive and well.”
|
| [...]
|
| “The European Committee For Interoperable Systems said it will take a wait
| and see approach in determining whether the changes will alleviate its
| concerns.”
|
| [...]
|
| What the heck exactly is “non-commercial” use of open source? Hobbyists?
|
| [...]
|
| “I expect that there it is no coincidence that this announcement comes just
| two business days (and only one, for most of the world) before the Ballot
| Resolution Meeting convenes in Geneva next Monday.”
|
| [...]
|
| “Microsoft is really pulling out all the stops to make sure OOXML gets the
| ISO standards nod. Losing lucrative government contracts here and abroad that
| require “open” standards would be no financial joke for the company.”
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=2067

Related:

Who is the world's biggest patent troll?

,----[ Quote ]
| In two consecutive days, The Wall Street Journal presented two different
| answers. The first is not surprising: Intellectual Ventures, the brainchild
| of ex-Microsoft executive Nathan Myhrvold. It's now out "to raise as much as
| $1 billion to help develop and patent inventions, many of them from
| universities in Asia."
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9816163-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Cyberlaw OOXML Seminar 14 December

,----[ Quote ]
| However, this raises the issue - what assurance does a developer have that
| such a large specification is not the subject of third party patent claims?
|       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| The pedigree of the specification is certainly no reason for hope, Microsoft
| has been the target of third party patent claims for some time now including
| some high profile losses in patent suits. The fact that the specification has
| been developed behind closed doors and on a fast track means that there has
| been no adequate opportunity to evaluate the likelihood of third party patent
| claims against the specifications. The sheer size of the document suggests
| there will be at least a couple hiding in there somewhere.
`----

http://brendanscott.wordpress.com/2007/12/13/cyberlaw-ooxml-seminar-14-december/

A Patent Lie

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/09/opinion/09lee.html

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Thanks to Mr. Gates, we now know that an open Internet with protocols
| anyone can implement is communism...
|
| ...Mr. Gates' secret is out now--he too was a "communist;" he, too,
| recognized that software patents were harmful-until Microsoft
| became one of these giants...
`----

http://news.com.com/Bill+Gates+and+other+communists/2010-1071_3-5576230.html?part=rss&tag=5575731&subj=news.1071.20

EU and Microsoft gang up on the GPL

| The future of open source and free software will look like this: first,
| Microsoft will pump money into its franchiseware economy and get very little
| back. Second, IBM will do the same with its own franchiseware economy (the
| Apache Foundation) and get a lot more back, because IBM actually understand
| how this works. Last, all remaining projects will move to the GPL, with a few
| exceptions. And it's that economy, the one based on formal copyleft licenses,
| and backed by increasing determination to litigate and defend against
| litigation, that will prevail.
|
| Like every actor that thinks it's conducting the orchestra, Microsoft is as
| much a puppet of circumstance as any one of us.
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-24101/opinion:eu-and-microsoft-gang-up-on-the-gpl

Opinion: behind the Acacia suit

,----[ Quote ]