Re: DRM one of reasons for Blu-Ray win

On Feb 20, 6:16 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> ____/ Tom Shelton on Wednesday 20 February 2008 16:32 : \____
>

> > On 2008-02-20, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> ____/ Linonut on Wednesday 20 February 2008 12:36 : \____

> >> Oops. Typo/slip. DRM it should have been. I didn't reread it.

> >> Internet television is pretty nice. It's interactive, searchable,
> >> recordable. As for HD DVD, that's going to cost Microsoft. It is already
> >> trying to deny this because analysts predict kah-kah for XBox.
>
> > How exactly is it going to hurt MS or the XBox?  The xbox doesn't use
> > HD-DVD for it's games.  It was simply an addon unit, that you can buy.
> > An addon, Roy.  Not standard equipment.
>
> PS3 sales will increase at XBox's expense (360 that is). PS3 does Blu-ray (just
> stating the obvious here).

Yes, and I can guarentee you it won't be long until the 360 does two
- .  MS has long ago started that ball rolling - they needed an out,
in case HD-DVD failed:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51381

The rumor is that a blu-ray addon will be available by May.

> > I read last year that MS was already talking to some one (I can't
> > remember who) about developing a blu-ray player addon for the xbox 360.
> > There was a reason that MS didn't make the HD-DVD standard in the xbox -
> > and that was because they didn't want to be tied to the format if it
> > didn't take off.
>
> > I think you'll find that in the end, the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray war was
> > pointless.  The future is in downloadable content.  Apple TV, Comcast On
> > Demand, XBox live, and Amazon.  XBox live already has hd-content and is
> > rumored to be partnering with Netflix - which should push their selection to
> > over 7,000 movies/tv shows for on demand viewing.  Nope, this format war
> > was a destraction.
>
> That's a theory that Jobs and other support. Some older-age people prefer
> physical copies for the same reason many people prefer books (I personally
> live paperless).

Oh, I'm not trying to say that physical media is dead - just that I
think we are on the cusp of the long awaited digital distribution of
media content, which means that physical media will become less
important.  And, MS is clearly positioning it self to be one of the
leaders in that space.  Not saying that they will succeed, but the
signs are there that they are at least making the attempt.

--
Tom Shelton